The passing of a legend.

All, it is with great sadness that I have just been informed by Terry, that the great Dr Rich Stein passed away yesterday morning.
I think you will all join me in mourning the loss of a leader and friend to all.
This is a sad time for me and us all. Rich could be called the founder of the NMB, before it went to Rich T and then myself. As the creator of the Japanese Sword Index, we all appreciated what he did and enjoyed his posts.
I'm not going to say much more, aside from the fact that this is a huge loss, and he will be missed. I will continue to host the JSI in his memory.
He asked that Terry inform me, so he must have known this day would come. We have had some giants in the Nihonto world, and Rich was one of them.
Rich, your memory will live on and you will be missed by all here. I know this will hit hard for some of our members.
Rest in peace sir, and thank you from all of us for all that you started.

• Sad 42

• 2 weeks later...

Terry emailed me to mention to those that asked, that she is taking very good care of his tuxedo cat that he loved so much. It is in good hands. She also expressed her thanks for the all the wonderful tributes, she was unaware of how important and respected he was by all of us.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I've come very late to this very sad topic.  I first started making contact with Rich when he set up and ran the nmb, so a long time ago. He was always friendly, very helpful and enthusiastic. As a novice I could not have asked for a better mentor.  I am so sorry that it has taken me so long to find out. Belated but none the less my sincere condolences to Rich's family. RIP Dr. Stein

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...