Maximum time between nihonto re-oiling?

mas4t0

Hello,

I'd appreciate some guidance on how long I can safely leave blades in shirasaya without re-oiling them. Usually I do this quite regularly, but I only currently have one functional hand and as such will need to either coach my wife through the process or arrange for a friend to visit to carry out the maintenance. I might end up sending my collection of blades to a friend, to take care of them for the time being.

I realise that climatic factors and the like will affect this, but all the same, I would appreciate some ballpark estimates from your own experience.

If anyone is curious, I can share what happened, but it's not directly relevant to the thread.

Thank you.

Mark

Mark,

Leeds is not Tokyo, so you should be fine oiling your blades only once in a few months. I live in a similar climate and I don't oil my swords at all. I have never had a problem with rust. They are all in shirasaya, of course.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thank you John.

The injury to the hand is a severed nerve, so while I'm unlikely to make a full recovery, there will be significant improvement.

I'm feeling very fortunate overall.

It was an attempted murder (the guy has been apprehended and charged by police) rather than an accident; but due to some excellent medical care and a few surgeries, the hand is the only major lingering issue.

Very briefly, I was out running with my wife and came across a man assaulting a young woman and making death threats to an elderly couple. I intervened, he attacked me and a fist fight ensued. After a few moments he was face down on the ground. While I was calling an ambulance for him, he regained consciousness, drew a weapon, stabbed me in the lung several times (puncturing the lung) and slashed the rear of the right arm (severing a nerve).

An eventful day overall. I'm mostly feeling lucky that I survived, wasn't castrated, didn't lose an eye and that nobody else was hurt.

Edit: Please edit this as appropriate if there's anything inappropriate or too graphic.

• Like 3
  • Wow 11
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, mas4t0 said:

While I was calling an ambulance for him, he regained consciousness, drew a weapon, stabbed me in the lung several times (puncturing the lung) and slashed the rear of the right arm (severing a nerve).

No good deed goes unpunished! It is very fortunate you are still with us, perhaps it is a good thing overall that you intervened, who knows how it could've ended with someone else. Glad he was apprehended and will hopefully spend the next few decades in prison away from society.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wow Mark, RESPECT man. I hope you make as full a recovery as possible soon. And all this in Leeds ? OMG. I visit 

Leeds regularly for an Iaido residential course with Eikoku Roshukai and l am quite shocked.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, PNSSHOGUN said:

No good deed goes unpunished! It is very fortunate you are still with us, perhaps it is a good thing overall that you intervened, who knows how it could've ended with someone else. Glad he was apprehended and will hopefully spend the next few decades in prison away from society.

Thank you John.

I've been feeling the same way. I get the feeling that the murder was pre-meditated, and that the young lady was the intended target. I shudder to think what else he would have done to her if left to it.

I'm pleased with how things turned out. I'd feel much worse if I'd just keep running and later found out that one or more people had been killed.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Moley said:

Wow Mark, RESPECT man. I hope you make as full a recovery as possible soon. And all this in Leeds ? OMG. I visit 

Leeds regularly for an Iaido residential course with Eikoku Roshukai and l am quite shocked.

Thank you Gwyn.

It was actually in my hometown, a small town a few miles south of Leeds, which has a much lower crime rate.

Please don't be alarmed, it was a black swan event. Lincolnshire and Yorkshire tend to be very safe and filled with gentle folk who love to garden and grow things. We're a bit like Hobbits really, and the most heinous act I've been on the receiving end of before was people scrumping (stealing apples from a tree) and the occasional theft of a few veggies from our vegetable patch.

• Like 1

Hi Mark

much respect for intervening there are very few people that will now a days, I hope you make a speedy recovery to the best of health.

And I would not put pen to paper as what needs to happen to this individual .

kind regards Bryan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Shugyosha said:

Hi Mark,

Glad to hear that you're on the mend and I hope you recover quickly.

Thank you John.

6 hours ago, Bryan B said:

Hi Mark

much respect for intervening there are very few people that will now a days, I hope you make a speedy recovery to the best of health.

And I would not put pen to paper as what needs to happen to this individual .

kind regards Bryan

Thank you Bryan.

I was over in Hull for the surgery, it's the first time I've been there for any length of time rather then just passing through.

I was at Castle Hill for most of the major surgery and Hull Royal Infirmary for a more minor operation.

• Thanks 1

You should write an article about your experience. Respect. I hope the police will consider themselves free to throw the book at this guy. Examples need to be made to discourage knife carrying among young people.

In the meantime hold onto your collection. In the UK your blades are all probably quite happy nesting in their shirasaya and might even benefit from less oiling rather than more. Your arm will regain function, and you will learn (hopefully temporary) ways to overcome the loss of right arm control. (Sometimes I practice the whole shaving ritual with one hand, imagining what it would be like to live with the loss of one limb. It's amazing how resourceful we can be.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bugyotsuji said:

Examples need to be made to discourage knife carrying among young people.

No. Everyone needs to carry a knife. I use mine multiple times a day. Everyone I know carries one. None of them stab anyone. 60's/70's USA...every kid in the USA carried one. There was no knife crime.
Look elsewhere.

• Like 6

I carry a pocket knife too. But there is little excuse for carrying a butcher's knife, machete or " night stealth death dagger" in a UK Town. All of which have been taken from teenage gang members at various times 

• Thanks 3

Mark, well done we are in awe of your valour. Unbelievable what could have happened and what actually happened. 

On the point of pocket knives: where I live, I have absolutely no need for a knife on me. It is a different thing if I were out in the woods on a picnic or trip up the mountains. But in central London you are better off with a pen or mobile phone rather than a penknife. 

Of course even a pen could turn into a lethal weapon if deployed appropriately around the neck or eye sockets. But that is a digression - apologies. 

Mark - the humidity in my room has been at 35% for the last 2 months and I have had to check with several hygrometers to ensure my dehumidifier had not broken down. So, a thin coat of oil can last you months indeed. 

Wish you speedy recovery - physical and psychological. Blasted cowards pulling blades on people and threatening vulnerable people will be punished. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Bugyotsuji said:

You should write an article about your experience. Respect. I hope the police will consider themselves free to throw the book at this guy. Examples need to be made to discourage knife carrying among young people.

In the meantime hold onto your collection. In the UK your blades are all probably quite happy nesting in their shirasaya and might even benefit from less oiling rather than more. Your arm will regain function, and you will learn (hopefully temporary) ways to overcome the loss of right arm control. (Sometimes I practice the whole shaving ritual with one hand, imagining what it would be like to live with the loss of one limb. It's amazing how resourceful we can be.)

Thanks Piers.

The CPS (Crown Prosecution Service) are looking to put him away for as long as possible.

He's also been charged with assault by beating for his actions towards the young woman and affray for his actions prior to the stabbing. It was in a residential area, and there were easily a dozen witnesses.

As you mentioned, I have got used to shaving one handed. I've had to switch back to using a safety razor though after a few years of using a nice kamisori.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Gakusee said:

On the point of pocket knives: where I live, I have absolutely no need for a knife on me. It is a different thing if I were out in the woods on a picnic or trip up the mountains. But in central London you are better off with a pen or mobile phone rather than a penknife. 

I feel exactly the same way. I have a Bowie knife and a selection of multi-tools which are always in my hiking bag, but I never have use for a knife outside the house when in an urban area.

7 hours ago, Gakusee said:

Wish you speedy recovery - physical and psychological. Blasted cowards pulling blades on people and threatening vulnerable people will be punished. 

Thank you for the concern. Fortunately, there's no psychological damage. It was my decision to get involved, it was my decision not to hurt him to the point of fully incapacitating him.

I don't have any regrets.

Thankfully my wife (who saw the whole thing) is feeling a lot better too, with no signs of PTSD, anxiety, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Just found that thread.

Mark, I would like to salute your courage, abnegation and wish you a speedy recovery. Incredible what you went through.  One day at my school, one guy, about 17 was yelling in the hall the name of another guy, trying to find in which classroom the other one was. I was in the middle of a lesson but went out to see what the fuss was all about.

The yelling guy was one of our former students that had been expelled for drug trafficking. The other guy used to be one of his friends and there was a different about a girl between them. The yelling guy said he’d come to kill the other. He was in some kind of berserk move and had a knife. I talked to him and cornered him against a wall talking to him and trying to diffuse his anger. I finally did and after a while, other people from the school management arrived and the guy finally gave up and realized how far he was gone.

Anyway, I’ve always been wondering what had made me do it, knowing he had a knife and was so mad he could have used it. I guess that knowing me and knowing he could trust me made things go smoothly but it could have been bad that day. So kudos for what you’ve done. Sometimes we act before we think but you saved someone that day. I hope you recover swiftly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I live in a city. I have carried a pocket knife for many decades. I use mine regularly. I used to carry a leatherman multitool but now only get that when necessary. My car has a Gerber multitool.  Dull knives are dangerous. Always keep the knife sharp. 

• Like 3

Barry wrote:

"My car has a Gerber multitool.  Dull knives are dangerous. Always keep the knife sharp."

Likewise, I've carried a pocket knife for over 65 years. First a barlow my grandfather gave me, then mostly a scout folder, stockman, Buck 110, etc., now a Victorinox Tinker that's been in my pocket for about 30 years. Used daily.

Rich

• Like 2

I use mine about 50 times a day. From opening things to assisting with repairs, to cuttings nails, thread, cable ties, boxes....to a million other things. My gf carries one too...also says she can't get by without one.
I think some of you guys who don't use one are the types that call an electrician to change a lightbulb. People have zero skills nowadays.

• Like 4

The problem in the UK is that the political or, if you like, legal climate, isn't on your side. It's legal to have a pocket knife with a blade of 3 inches or less providing it doesn't have a lockable blade but you know that if the police stop you, awkward questions will be asked, so it isn't worth it.

To give an example that illustrates the feeling towards this over here, the paranoia is such that, when in April I sent my niece a corkscrew by way of a belated birthday present, the type that has a tiny blade on the back for cutting the foil caps on wine bottles, the delivery guy wouldn't hand it over until she had proven she was over the age of 18 (she's in her 40's).

Needless to say, there has been no spate of corkscrew killings by minors in the UK. The lengths gone to in order to protect people from the tiniest perceived threat are becoming completely absurd.

• Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..