Rai Kunimitsu Tanto

paulb

Rai Kunimitsu is one of my favourite smiths and I have had the chance to examine a number of his blades in hand. The Jigane is fantastic and beautiful to see.

I appreciate taste is very subjective but I am at a loss as to why anyone, smith or customer would choose to do this to one of his blades.

https://www.aoijapan.com/img/sword/2015/151029-2.jpg

As said it is a very subjective thing but does anyone think the horimono on this piece enhances it?

• Like 1

Rai Kunimitsu is one of my favourite smiths and I have had the chance to examine a number of his blades in hand. The Jigane is fantastic and beautiful to see.

I appreciate taste is very subjective but I am at a loss as to why anyone, smith or customer would choose to do this to one of his blades.

https://www.aoijapan.com/img/sword/2015/151029-2.jpg

As said it is a very subjective thing but does anyone think the horimono on this piece enhances it?

No, it doesn’t, but I’m biased as I don’t like Horimono. Even when they are beautifully done, I always think they take away from the raw beauty of the blade, like a girl with too much make up.

• Like 2

Horimono can be splendid (Soshu smiths, Tadatsuna...) and enhance any blade. This blade is very tired and won’t upgrade to Juyo. BTW, this blade has been for sale on Aoi Art website for at least a year... you can draw your own conclusions...:)

• Like 4

In fact this tanto is such atypical for Kunimitsu that you can say you buy the mei rather than the blade..

A juyo Rai Kunitoshi tanto in Japan is worth 6/7 M¥, a Kunimitsu with nice koshirae is worth around 6M¥

BTW, Fred W. Has a nice juyo Rai Kunimitsu tanto for sale on his website

• Like 5

I have lusted after the tanto on Fred's site ever since I saw it in Japan when he bought it. It is a beautiful piece which I think sums up the work of Kunimitsu.in a small piece of steel.

Unfortunately I don't think I have been good enough this year for Santa to bring it for me!

• Like 1

Sorry guys i see on that Rai Tanto only a white line. Nothing else. Juyo or not.

Yes Chris I see what you mean from the images.

I saw it at a Thursday evening dinner meeting organised by Robert Hughes  before the DTI and had the chance to spend a good amount of time looking at it in detail. It has everything you would expect to see from a top Rai smith of that period and more. The activity in both jigane and hamon is fantastic and the shape exquisite. It is certainly one I would like to add to my collection but the chances of that are much the same as me winning the lottery (which I don't do!)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OK i have only checked the pictures on aoi of the tanto and i like the horimono, im always thinking about how it was when it was carved not its actuall state :/

Also the koshirae is nice, if i would have the money i would buy it. (if i would looking for Tanto)

And what is with that flower ? :D

post-5084-0-48179900-1578857160_thumb.jpg

It use to be Betty Grable and Marilyn Monroe on calendars in barracks. Now, you lust for beautiful curved swords, with tori-zori, uchi-zori, gonome-choji-midare hamon, bonji, horimono, yakiba, utsuri, HI, yo, ji-hada, bohi, ha-machi, shinogi, boshi and kissaki etc. WOW!  and includes the all important Nakago that is under the tsuka.  Swords are beautiful forever!!!  Peace.

Tom D.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..