Photo

Tanto with elaborate horimono. Valuable or just flashy?

tanto

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Tigerinbamboo

Tigerinbamboo

Chu Jo Saku

• Members
  • 80 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco CA USA

Posted 15 September 2019 - 09:06 AM

Hi guys! Pretty new to nihonto, so asking the amazing experts here for some help. What do you think about this tanto, unpapered, said to be valuable Naomitsu piece?

Attached Thumbnails

• G64343_d.jpg
  • G64343_i.jpg
  • G64343_h.jpg
  • G64343_c.jpg
  • G64343_b.jpg
  • G64343_a.jpg
  • M64343_2a.jpg

• vajo likes this
Kathleen

#2 Tigerinbamboo

Tigerinbamboo

Chu Jo Saku

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 09:24 AM

Info from seller:
Nagasa (20.5 cm length) with beautiful Masatsugu horimono decorated with partially-gilt floral motifs; SUGURA with NIOI KO NIE; hada: MUJI (well forged); boshi: HAKIKAKE KO NIE; gilded habaki with the same flower; nakago mei "NAOMITSU 1867 - IKKANSAI - MASATSUGU", a mekgi-ana. Horn koshirae with screws, decorated en suite with a flower; the SHURIKEN (mei MASATSUGU) of the saya en suite.
Japan, third quarter of the 19th Century
length 31.5 cm.
Conditions: good
Kathleen

#3 Hamfish

Hamfish

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 09:56 AM

i have no idea, BUT i can say i like how it looks.

Hamfish

#4 16k

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 595 posts
  • LocationFrance, Burgundy

Posted 15 September 2019 - 10:07 AM

I don’t like flashy things, so not to my taste. Still, I think for those who like, it looks great. Looks almost as if a kozuka had been inserted in the ji
Jean-Pierre, but everybody calls me JP

#5 francois2605

francois2605

Chu Jo Saku

• Members
  • 77 posts
  • LocationParis, France

Posted 15 September 2019 - 10:32 AM

Is this technically considered an horimono ? My impression was an horimono was created by removing material from the blade, not adding some
  • 16k likes this

-Francois R. (Paris, France)

#6 vajo

vajo

Tokubetsu Juyo

• Members
  • 3,562 posts
  • LocationGermany / Bavaria

Posted 15 September 2019 - 10:34 AM

Kathleen, that is a very nice looking tanto. Looks like a present tanto for me for a loved person.

#7 AndyMcK

AndyMcK

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 281 posts
  • LocationVihti, Finland

Posted 15 September 2019 - 11:11 AM

I think this was in an auction few months back. If the seller won it from there you should also be asking why he is getting rid of it. Like said it is very decorative but maybe a bit too flashy for many tastes. Perfect gift blade as mentioned.

-Antti
Antti

井の中の蛙大海を知らず

#8 Nobody

Nobody

Kenkaku

• Members
  • 2,688 posts
  • LocationTokyo, Japan

Posted 15 September 2019 - 11:14 AM

The smith is the famous Naomitsu AKA Kajihei (Hosoda Heijiro)?

薙刀 直光造

Ref. https://www.e-sword....4020syousai.htm

Attached Thumbnails

• 4020main.jpg

• Brian and Malcolm like this

MORIYAMA Koichi
盡人事而待天命 - Do one's best and leave the rest to Providence.

♪ Nobody knows de trouble I see, Nobody knows but ......

#9 Tigerinbamboo

Tigerinbamboo

Chu Jo Saku

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 11:39 AM

I think this was in an auction few months back. If the seller won it from there you should also be asking why he is getting rid of it. Like said it is very decorative but maybe a bit too flashy for many tastes. Perfect gift blade as mentioned.

-Antti

• Valric likes this
Kathleen

#10 Tigerinbamboo

Tigerinbamboo

Chu Jo Saku

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 11:40 AM

It was passed at auction (no bids) and is now for sale.
Kathleen

#11 Tigerinbamboo

Tigerinbamboo

Chu Jo Saku

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 11:43 AM

The smith is the famous Naomitsu AKA Kajihei (Hosoda Heijiro)?

薙刀 直光造
Ref. https://www.e-sword....4020syousai.htm

Thank you 😊 "Nobody"
Do you know if this was likely to be an omamorigatana?

Kathleen D
Kathleen

#12 PNSSHOGUN

PNSSHOGUN

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,806 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 15 September 2019 - 11:45 AM

Very nice dagger and an unusual Horimono done quite well. Sometimes these are done to hide flaws but this looks purposeful and executed nicely.

• Ganko likes this

John

#13 Curran

Curran

Juyo

• Members
  • 3,011 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 September 2019 - 02:42 PM

I've previously seen three of these: one in Japan, one with a NJ Collector, and one elsewhere. They were near identical.

The NJ one had NTHK papers and the black lacquer saya was a bit dinged up with a screw menuki. I believe the owner of it has since passed away.

I was interested in buying it, but his pricing was 1980s bubble at about 2x what I thought was fair.

Somewhere along the way I picked up mental information that at least 10 were made.

I forget the rest, as it has been close to a decade since I last saw one of these.

• Jean, Ganko, BIG and 5 others like this

미친 남자 Curran

#14 Stephen

Stephen

Oyabun

• Members
  • 13,412 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 15 September 2019 - 03:26 PM

one very sexy tanto

USMC DEC 63 APR 73

#15 Michaelr

Michaelr

Chu Jo Saku

• Members
  • 89 posts
  • LocationNJ USA

Posted 15 September 2019 - 06:15 PM

Kathleen, everyone has their own taste but I love it. They say that ‘ You don’t pick a blade- a blade picks you ‘ If you love it and can afford it Go for it. Good luck and thank you for sharing
MikeR
  • Ganko and BIG like this
Michael R

#16 Jacques D.

Jacques D.

Juyo

• Members
  • 2,509 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 07:56 PM

Naomitsu was really a talented swordsmith. 

https://www.samurai-...HOP/V-1637.html

• Stephen, Lee Bray and Ganko like this

#17 Stephen

Stephen

Oyabun

• Members
  • 13,412 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 15 September 2019 - 08:55 PM

Great blade MrD, thanks for sharing. 

USMC DEC 63 APR 73

#18 Peter Bleed

Peter Bleed

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • LocationLittle Rock, AR

Posted 15 September 2019 - 09:49 PM

I, too, have enjoyed seeing this blade and reading the various reactions. This sword was made at an interesting moment in Japanese history. And it is very impressive,. I'm sure there was a reason for doing this in 1867. Still, I have a very hard time appreciating this knife within the great sweep of Nippon-to history. It strikes me as a tricked out customized 5 window Ford with candy apple paint and a Dodge hemi motor.

Peter

• Stephen likes this
Peter Bleed

#19 Stephen

Stephen

Oyabun

• Members
  • 13,412 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 15 September 2019 - 09:52 PM

Why itz sexy Pete...;)
USMC DEC 63 APR 73

#20 Death-Ace

Death-Ace

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 303 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 16 September 2019 - 12:05 AM

I can't remember if it mentioned the smith, but there was a very VERY similar ko-wakizashi shown on a 2004 National Geographic. I believe it was inlaid as well and the horimono was phenomenol. I remember ir saying how ir sold for a pretty penny.

It actually boosted my interest in traditional Nihonto and wakizashi!
Lev H.

#21 SteveM

SteveM

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,535 posts
  • LocationTokyo, Japan

Posted 16 September 2019 - 12:33 AM

About the description; It took me a while to figure out what the catalogue description was saying. The reference to shuriken completely threw me off, but I guess they are referring to the kogatana in the saya. Sugura is probably a typo of suguba. Also, when I look at the catalogue, I can see a picture of the matching habaki. 

Given the matching floral design on the sword, the habaki, and also the kozuka of the kogatana, and the matching Masatsugu signatures on both the tanto and kogatana, it looks to me to be a very interesting ensemble, despite the out-of-the-ordinary horimono. 

My biggest question is the identity of the swordsmith. There were two Naomitsu smiths working at this time; the famous Kajihei, and the apparently not so famous Tamateru. If the former, and authentic, I think this would be a valuable piece. I don't know anything about the latter. Regardless, I think it is an interesting piece. Note some faint, horizontal openings near the tip. In this case, I don't think they are much to worry about. 

• Brian and BIG like this
Steve M

#22 Tigerinbamboo

Tigerinbamboo

Chu Jo Saku

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 05:27 AM

I, too, have enjoyed seeing this blade and reading the various reactions. This sword was made at an interesting moment in Japanese history. And it is very impressive,. I'm sure there was a reason for doing this in 1867. Still, I have a very hard time appreciating this knife within the great sweep of Nippon-to history. It strikes me as a tricked out customized 5 window Ford with candy apple paint and a Dodge hemi motor.
Peter

Peter, ouch!
  • Valric likes this
Kathleen

#23 Surfson

Surfson

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,909 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL, USA

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:54 AM

Kathleen, I saw that blade in the auction and had every reason to believe it is authentic.  I didn't study it though, since they put a starting bid on it at 6,000 Euros, which I thought was too high.  The horimono is very unusual, but I like it.  It may not be to all people's taste.  The blade is a bit short too.  Cheers, Bob

• BIG likes this
Robert S.

#24 Tigerinbamboo

Tigerinbamboo

Chu Jo Saku

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 01:53 AM

Kathleen, I saw that blade in the auction and had every reason to believe it is authentic. I didn't study it though, since they put a starting bid on it at 6,000 Euros, which I thought was too high. The horimono is very unusual, but I like it. It may not be to all people's taste. The blade is a bit short too. Cheers, Bob

Bob, I've reached the same conclusion. It's beautiful work, probably intended for a special gift or presentation, but it's way overpriced.

Cheers, Kathleen
  • BIG likes this
Kathleen

#25 Curran

Curran

Juyo

• Members
  • 3,011 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 September 2019 - 02:31 AM

The NJ papered one was for sale for $8000 to 9000. I researched it back then, hence how I became aware of the other versions for sale/sold.

I thought it worth >= $4000 or so at that time. The koshirae on this one is definitely much much nicer, but the polish not as good.

• BIG likes this

미친 남자 Curran

#26 Surfson

Surfson

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,909 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL, USA

Posted 19 September 2019 - 12:38 AM

You are correct Curran.  One would have to add the cost of buyer's premium (1500 euro?) and polish ($2-3,000) to the cost if purchasing this nice tanto.  That would bring it to over $10K, for which one can get a spectacular tanto....

• BIG likes this
Robert S.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tanto

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq