New Member Introductions

• 1 month later...

Hello!

I'm a new member and a brand new collector (aquirer?) of Japanese blades. I've been causually collecting edged weapons from my travels for 27 years (my first sword from York, England when I was 13 years old), but I've always admired and drooled over Japanese blades (I know, don't drool on the blades :shock: ). I never bought anything because the subject matter is so daunting and I was under the impression that the prices were out of my reach. (and i've never been to Japan!)

Recently, I've decided to get educated and start my journey into collecting Nihonto; which led me to your wonderful site! I feel I've already learned so much from lurking and reading old posts. Fortunately, I read the excellent advise given to newbies to wait before I leap and read, read, read.

And so I ordered the Connoisseur's guide...

Unfortunately, I promptly forgot the excellent advise when a sword came up on an auction site that I follow, and so... I'm awaiting the delivery of a sword to see what I've gotten myself into :lol:

But at least I'll have something to study while I read.

(And there will probably be a post sometime in the near future as I try to decipher the Mei)

I also study a mixed Filipino Martial Arts system that has a large weapon component, which helps to fuel my search for knives and short swords.

In short, I look forward to a lifetime of learning!

• 2 weeks later...

Terry Mc here,

Sorry, just saw this section today. I joined the NMB just about a week ago. Many years ago while walking through an estate sale, a tsuba found me. I bought it, bought a nice display box and it has rested in my home as well as my office. I've made poor attempts in the past of trying to identify its age and origin and when I found this forum - well it seemed the perfect place to start. I hope to be able to gain enough information to start building a collection that speaks to me. As in all the things I collect, I never factor in an items 'potential return on investment' nor do I acquire items with the intent to 'upgrade'. I select items that I would want to own forever - well at least until the time of my demise at which point I hope to pass them on to others who will genuinely appreciate them. So be nice to me and you may find yourself in my will. Lol!

I've always been drawn to swords and edged weapons. Briefly studied Kendo & Iaido here in Dallas. Would describe myself as a bit of a warrior/poet. I've begun learning already, and a couple members have begun helping me as well.

Thanks to you all,

Terry Mc

Believe it or not, despite being a member here since 2012 I had not noticed this thread before..... So here goes.

My name is Dave Rushworth, and I have been collecting Oriental Arms and Armour continuously since 1967. I bought my first Japanese blade, a very trashed Wakizashi for £4.10s, and considering the abuse I gave it out of ignorance I am glad I don't have it around anymore to embarrass me.

I have during the last 3 years started collecting Japanese antiques again after a hiatus of a couple of decades and am working on getting back up to speed ... there have been quite a few changes in the scene and a vast increase in the knowledge available. I find this site to be an invaluable resource, and long may it continue to be so.

Living in Leeds I have easy access to the Royal Armoury, which I take regular advantage of, and am a member of the Northern To-Ken Society UK.

I was searching for a suggested thread when I found this one.

My name is Brandon - I'm a manager at a very busy Irish Pub in southern New Hampshire. I've always been fascinated with history - particularly the history of war and war machines. I have a modest collection of antique firearms, and an ever growing love for the craftsmanship that goes into the creation of older weapons. The saying "They don't make 'em like they used to" couldn't be more true.

I am a musician, collector, investor, world traveler, and family man. Always questing for knowledge (a little too eagerly at times), and supremely appreciative of anybody who has a lesson to teach me.

Thank you in advance for all of the knowledge and insight.

• 2 weeks later...

my name is paul. ive lived in southern calif for over 50 years , and

near los angeles for the last 25.

i collect roman coins.

i became interested in katane through the cinema.

i like this site, and hope to learn a lot.

paul :) .

ps

id be interested in attending any groups/gatherings, etc, in the socal area. :thanks:

:welcome: Paul :-)

Lurk on this Forum, buy books first, suprees the desire to buy a sword, buy only when you know a thing or two (this will take reading a few books) and then stay off eBay.

You'll be fine, we are here to help :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

I'm new to collecting Nihonto and recently purchased my first three swords. I have a katana from Taima school, a 1514 Sukesada wakizashi and a Sasaki Nydo Ippo wakizashi.

Unfortunately my amature status will not allow me to help anyone very much.

I have lived in Okinawa Japan for a while. This is my 8th stint here thanks to the military. I look forward to exploring and learning anything and everything this awesome forum offers.

The guys are right, I did start the board as part of my site that Brian now hosts. Originally it

was call the Japanese Sword Message Board. When I got tired of answering 10,000+ questions

that some joker has a genuine ninja sword and other questions of that ilk. I tossed up my hands

and begged Rich Turner if he would like to take it over. He graciously did and greatly improved it.

Rich T renamed it the Nihonto Message Board. When he bugged out of it (probably for the same reasons as I did :-) Brian took it over and again improved on it - making it the premier forum for Japanese sword in English language and add lots of good stuff; new links, articles,etc. He also most kindly took over host my site:

The Japanese Sword Index (now at: http://www.japaneseswordindex.com/nihonto.htm). My site has always been a collaborative effort with excellent input from many, many Nihontophiles. I want

to genuinely thank both Rich T and Brian for what they've done for me and the Nihonto community

internationally. This is without question the best forum for discussion and most importantly,

education about Japanese swords and fittings. It is academic, yet fun and well run. Kudos to both

Rich T and Brian for the job they have done making it so. I'm eternally greatful to both of them.

I don't participate as much as I use to or want to, just now there are many MUCH,MUCH, MORE

knowledgeable than I to help out the "newbies" and answer each others questions and show some

really great swords and tsuba. My collection has dwindled down to about 35 Nihonto (half of which

are tanto), about 200 tsuba (I prefer iron; esp. Saotome/Tembo, Nara and various sukashi schools.

Also a hundred or so fuchi/kashira, some odd fuchi and a few sets of menuki. And oh yes Lacquer.

I also study and collect other sharp pointy things and have for over 60 years; from old English

pocket knives, to Bronze Age weapons, Kris (or Keris if you prefer), now mostly into Nordic knives,

mainly Finnish puukko. I have loved, owned and passed on to others probably over 1000 pieces

due that time. Still have about 700 various pieces; some English,some SAKs, some bronze, some

mid-Eastern damascus swords, Khodmi, puukko, and even some modern assisted openers and flippers. I was born with a knife in my hand and will likely go out with one in it (I certainly hope so).

So Kana and all the other new folks (I understand there are even a few ladies among our group),

join in and learn, share and pass on what you learn. We are all students and teachers and also

remember that we are just temporary custodians of the Nihonto we are priviledged to currently

own and care for. We stand on the shoulders of those before us and those later will stand on yours.

That is the way of the universe.

Study, learn, enjoy, pass it on and hopefully stay somewhat sane :-) in the process.

Welcome aboard. I will now end this rambling, overly long epistle and say good night.

Rich S

Hello everyone. I just joined the forum and after reading the different topics that I see there is much to learn here. I have much to learn from the rest of the members here.

I've always been fascinated with Japanese culture, especially Japanese swords .. I was very happy to find this forum.

Regards.

:thanks:

Henry MC

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I posted a new topic already, though now i found this topic, so i'll go along:)

I'm new though i've been lurking for a while. I'm hoping to learn more about Japan's history, traditions and nihonto. Also i'm heavily interested and collecting Japanese ceramics. My main favorite styles are Ohi, Hagi and Bizen yaki. Basically anything Japanese and i'm into it.

Hopefully this will turn out to be a learning experience. Thank you.

hello forum!

i just joined to learn a bit more about katanas and the art of collecting them. i'm interesting in finding a good first sword to invest in, and was hoping those of you with some experience could help me find the right one to buy, or at least the right place to buy from. i don't think i'm going to be able to make it to Japan or one of the shows due to geographic limitations. what's the best way to ask for help?

thanks,

curt

Hi Curt,

1st do some homework. Get some books (either buy them or ask your library to get them on inter-library loan), read and reread them, and study. And think about attending the sword shows in the US. Sure they aren't next door to Kansas City but the experience and education you can get is invaluable. Learn about Nihonto before buying Nihonto; the more you know before your purchase the more pleased with it you'll be.

And spend time reading here on NMB (start with FAQ above). So much great information to be found on these forums.

And when you can ask informed questions there'll be no shortage of people willing to help.

Grey

• 1 month later...

Hi, John:

Which Iaido ryuha do you train in? My wife & I have trained in Muso Jikiden Eishin-Ryu for more than 20 years, & we still love the art.

Please don't be in a hurry to buy a blade before you've done a lot of studying so you know WHY you want to buy a certain Nihonto. Yes, we all understand how anxious you are to get started, but please trust me that you will be able to buy a much better quality blade for a lot less money if you spend a few dollars on books, & then study them to get the basic ideas on what's out there. A search will get you a list of which books we recommend, & Amazon has great prices & free shipping over $25.

Welcome to the forum.

Ken

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, new here. I've collected antique and collectible firearms for many years and have traveled to Japan on business and when my wife was mayor to visit our sister city in Japan. I've had a number of US made swords and other blades from around the world, but am now focused on nihonto, but am just a beginner (at 68). I'll be reading and learning. Thanks, Jim