Nobuie Translation Project

Markus

Ok, with now 4 from Barry (I just counted Barry himself previously) and also Brian in, I arrive at 42. That is quite incredible and lowers the translation fee to $72 per person. 

@Barry: I hope you stressed that a commitment is binding as it calculates everything for everyone and a drop out forces me to go back and check with all others if they are still in if the fee goes back up again ;)  

Just to recapitulate briefly: I am positive that we might lower the price to somewhere around $65. So even if you go for the color print version, you end up at $125 for the copy to arrive at your place (or just be happy with the eBook that is included with your participation). So with everyone in this field despearately looking for more info in Nobuie, I think this is a pretty good deal. I mean, you are potentially going to spend at least several hundred to get something Nobuie or an amount in the four-figure range for the "real deal." So $65 or $125 doesn't sound to bad as a "decision-making tool."  ;-)

• Like 1

I'll definitely want the color print copy, myself.  Agreed:  $125 for a quality 250-page work focused on one of the greatest names in tsuba history is a bargain.  Speaking of bargains, if you can find a "real deal" Nobuiye for anything in the four figures, please let me know right away!  :glee:   They routinely go for five figures in my experience, and not always the low five figures. ;-)

Cheers,

Steve

I know Steve ;) With "real deal", I meant at least something like "Geishu Nobuie" or "San Nobuie", in contrast to gimei of or much later hommages to Nobuie which some dealers try to sell for as high as possible asking prices because the name Nobuie is in the room.

Hey, some more excellent news. Just got word from the New York Token Kai that they are going to donate $250 for the project! Thank you so much! :thanks: 

So with our latest two participants, Jesper and Val, we are already down to $60 per person.

• Like 1

Well done to the NY Token Kai  :clap:
In our links section above, I have a Facebook section with most of the sword societies listed there. Does anyone want to post a link to this thread on their FB pages, so that some of their members can be made aware, if any of them aren't here already?

It is my understanding that the initial funds are for the translation and a PDF file of that translation. Once you have that you will get a link from Markus that will allow the purchase of either a black and white copy of the book or a colour copy of the book. He suggested B&W about $10 colour about $50. The more people who participate the lower the initial cost. The initial cost pays for the translation. 

Guys,

Make an effort and we'll get it free :)

Hehe. I am positively surprised by the outcome. I was thinking of the usual 10 or 15, the hard core so to speak. I guess it was, as mentioned earlier, this combination of FB, NMB, and the topic that made it work so fast.

And it is as Barry said. So please bear in mind that the translation costs will go down. The prices for the b/w and color copies will stay always around $10 and $50 respectively (I am calculating with 200+ at the moment, i.e. there is chance for a fluctuation of a few bucks). 

Now we are 53, calculating $52 per person (again, this is just the fee for the translation, print and shipping is extra and at everyone's discretion).

Looks like we are getting closer to $100 for the eBooks and a shipped colour copy together. That makes this very attractive to anyone.
Markus, I assume this is soft cover colour? How much will the hard cover option add to those who want it?

How much will the hard cover option add to those who want it?

I got many replies that hard cover is desired with the color version, so let's go the whole hog. I checked with Lulu and this version would arrive at $58, so a slight plus of $8. Hope that these 8 bucks don't turn anyone away of those who were opting for the color edition because with Mikolaj in, we are down to $51 for the translation. This would then be $60 for the b/w and $109 for the color, plus shipping.

• Like 1

@Barry: I am pretty positive that coupon codes can also be used for privately linked books. So yes, people will anyway receive the PDF right when the project is finished and can then wait until a good deal pops up to get the physical copy.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..