Nobuie Translation Project

Markus

Hi all,

I have stated this a while ago on my facebook page to let the word spread and feedback is rolling in, so I am at a point where I also want to post it here on the NMB. Thing is, Ito Mitsuru, the author of the three Higo books, wrote about 15 years ago or so an extensive article on Nobuie that was split up into 42 parts. In this article, Ito not only reassesses the grouping/classification done by Nakamura Kakudayu but also addresses all the important points regarding Nobuie, e.g. signature (hanare-mei, futoji-mei, ...), interpretation, shape, etc. The series stretches over 200 pages with tons of pics, consisting on the one hand of reprints of Nakamura's rubbings (used for his reassession), and on the other hand of concrete examples (which I will back up with color pics as the series was printed in b/w). In addition, Ito introduces a very detailed biography of Akiyama Kyusaku (I think no such detailed bio of this scholar has yet been made public).

Now I am doing this like the Echizen-Kinai and Choshu no Tsuba project via a closed group of participants, with the costs for the translation shared. By the way, this is so to speak an "official" thing, i.e. Ito san is in the picture and the project came to me via my friend Eckhard Kremers, author of the Sukashi Tsuba book and close friend of Ito. 

So far I got about 15 commitments. From experience I know that at least 5 of these 15 will drop out but it would be nice if we can get let's say 25, or even 30. If so, that is if we are 30, costs would be around $100 each. For this, everyone will get the PDF-based eBook and for those who want real books, I will also provide a color paperback copy (via direct order link on Lulu, print and shipping born by orderer).

Would be nice if we get some more into the boat and the project rolling! I will keep this post and my initial facebook post updated with concrete numbers. As mentioned, I count 10 as definitely in at the moment.

Thank you for your attention folks!

Great response so far! 22 are in. :thanks:

As for the books, yes, there will be a real copy made available by me via Lulu. With participating, you will get a private link where the copy can be ordered to your discretion.

This said, I want to address a point that I will stress later again when we are good to go: Projects like that are for personal interest only. I mean, everyone participating gets his eBook and can order his paperback copy. These are neither meant to be shared nor to be resold (e.g. to recoup your investment or worse, to make profit). I always see that after sending out those private links when a project like that is completed, some are ordering two, three, or four copies. Of course Lulu doesn't show me where the order is from (apart from the country) but it does show how many copies are purchased in a single order process. Let me know if you are going to order for another participant, no problem, everything is fine. It's just always a little sad (and frustrating) for me to see when 5 or so copies are being ordered because what is this going to be? Of course they are ordered to be sold under the counter... It's not about that I am so greedy. I mean, I make an estimate on the basis of the to be translated pages and get my money from the participation. So I am paid. It's about that it "destroys" such little and medium projects in the long run because everyone will say that well, I am not going to participate because I know that I can always get a copy later from X or Y. So fewer and fewer people participate and here goes the downward spiral... Amen. ;-)      

• Like 6

Hi Marcus
I sent out a note to my swords club. One person is in so far. I have been burned doing this before so I want to get some money before ordering. I hope that I get more people asking. When I have a total I will let you know. At the moment tentatively I have mine and two others (3). One for sure wants the print edition.
Regards,
Barry Hennick

Thank you Barry!

Feedback is coming in so counting just you in from your group, we arrive at 26 participants at the moment. This would mean $115 for everyone if it stays like that but I am sure we can get some more as also others told me they are reaching out.

@Peter Farrar: As you "can't take a copy" ;) but have to participate, should I count you in? If so, we are already at 27 and $111 per person.

Excellent! We just arrived at 30. So it is now only $100 per person. Will keep it open until next week. Until then everybody should have made up his mind.

Seems we have a very fruitful combination of social media, NMB, and a topic that many are interested in. :clap:

What would the printed copies cost as far as printing/postage goes?

I will make two versions: A plain b/w and therefore cheap copy, for those who just want to have a print book (and can refer to the color pics in their eBook). This one would be somewhere around $10. And then I will make a color copy for those who want the print to be as the eBook. As color is expensive with Lulu, we arrive somewhere around $50, calculating about 250 pages or so for the book. Shipping depends very much on location but starts around $5~8 (no tracking, just plain).

I just got a reply from Eckhard saying that he got three more. So with Gilles and Mauro, we are 35 now, dropping the price to $86 per person.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..