The sword you would never part with?

PNSSHOGUN

I have 11 swords - I love them all - I would not part with any of them.

1.   Mumei - Bizen c. 1400

2.   Seisui Tokyo 1944

3.  Yamagami  Munetoshi Niigata 1941  (RJT smith)

4.   Yamagami Munetoshi Niigata 1943 RJT star

5.  Okishiba Yoshisada Osaka c.1943 (RJT smith)

6.   Nagao Kunishiro Aomori 1944 RJT star

7.   Shigekuni Wakayama? c. 1942

8.   Nakata Kanehide Gifu 1944 RJT star

9.   Mumei early gendaito c.1890?

10. Takashima Kunihide Kyoto 1944 RJT star

11. Tsukamoto Masakazu Fukushima 1942 (RJT smith)

trotter swords.jpg

IMG_6629 sword 10 & 8.jpg

masakazu 1 AA.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I'm like George.  My collection goal was to get good representatives of the primary Types and variants of WWII gunto (ok, I have some pre-WWII's too).  And I have that now, and don't plan to ever part with any of them, else the collection would again be incomplete.  But I've learned to "never say never", so in answer to the question it would definitely by my dad's '41 Mantetsu Koa Isshin.

Collage 2018-06-10 13_27_00.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I had a couple of requests to put up some photos. Some of them have been shown on another thread, but what the heck, I always get a thrill taking it out and having a look anyway. 

A good "sword buddy" and I went to Japan, and my goal was to find a good polished papered SADAKATSU. And to be honest, the sword found me! Polished, Hozon papers, ayasugi hada, it ticked all my boxes. 

It took close to 3 months from the time I saw it, until it arrived due to deregistration in Japan, and shipping issues. Many sleepless nights, but worth it in the long run. 

a12.jpg

a11.jpg

a10.jpg

a9.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

For me, I couldn't part with my gunto that was giving to Flight Engineer 2/Lt Willam Warburton from Flying tiger by the Chinese Communist new 4th army 4th division, which saves him from the Japanese army.  Warburton was on B29 from 40th Bomb Group plane #237. It was shot down on November 11, 1944, on the mission to bombing target in Nanking.It's no a pretty sword but the story behind it is priceless.

The group photo is NOT 2/Lt Willam's crew but other flying tiger pilots rescued by N4A.

005.jpg

001.jpg

009.jpg

66c60004945acb5f49a5.jpg

1118847385_14629503902131n的副本.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Wow 5

Very good stuff Trystan.  I once read an intensely interesting book about John Birch's time in China during WW2.  I recall he was involved in saving a US aviator on one occasion.  I no doubt still have the book - somewhere!!

BaZZa.

• Haha 1

On 8/13/2021 at 6:29 AM, BANGBANGSAN said:

For me, I couldn't part with my gunto that was giving to Flight Engineer 2/Lt Willam Warburton from Flying tiger by the Chinese Communist new 4th army 4th division, which saves him from the Japanese army.  Warburton was on B29 from 40th Bomb Group plane #237. It was shot down on November 11, 1944, on the mission to bombing target in Nanking.It's no a pretty sword but the story behind it is priceless.

The group photo is NOT 2/Lt Willam's crew but other flying tiger pilots rescued by N4A.

That's an incredible story behind this sword ! Thanks for sharing, for sure it becomes an invaluable sword when you can put a name on it

• Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..