Looking for crab sukashi tsuba pitures

Marius

Sorry for this unusual request, but googling yielded only one result for a kani tsuba (http://www.to-ken.com/tsuba/Legendsands ... ntsuba.htm).

I need a few pictures of sukashi tsuba with a crab and possibly leaves of some water plant. I would be grateful for examples of tsuba with attributions, if possible

The reason for all this is that I need to pinpoint the school of a certain tsuba. I will post its picture later.

Thank you for your help :bowdown:

Thank you Moriyama-san :-) A lovely Higo tsuba. I love this cute little crab :-)

Here is the picture of the kani tsuba in question. Not a great piece, it looks like cast iron to me However, it is most likely based on an original tsuba, and I would appreciate any information about the original design.

:thanks:

post-309-14196788256907_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I think this fellow is quite charming. It's not really as "rough" as it may first appear. The nunome, for example is quite well done. The very subtle way the ends of the legs trail into the rim is also very skilful and reveals a degree of sophistication.

It's not cast and is an Edo period piece in my opinion. As to school/maker....when in doubt say Shoami :D ....but I would need to think about this one really, there are a few possibilities.

regards,

ford

• Like 1

Interesting tsubs, Mariusz. I don't think I've seen one quite like this before. I wouldn't be able to locate this piece with confidence in a particular school, but I would agree with Ford: not cast and of the Edo Period (mid-to-late-Edo).

Here is an image of the iconic Owari crab tsuba from the Tokyo National Museum. Obviously very different from yours there, but since you asked for crab tsuba... ;)

Cheers,

Steve

post-312-14196788312234_thumb.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

I think this fellow is quite charming. It's not really as "rough" as it may first appear. The nunome, for example is quite well done. The very subtle way the ends of the legs trail into the rim is also very skilful and reveals a degree of sophistication.

It's not cast and is an Edo period piece in my opinion.

Ford,

Well, I knew it would end this way ;-) Whenever I say "genuine", Ford says "cast", whenever I say "cast", Ford says "genuine". Thanks for the lesson Ford :D

Steve,

thanks for sharing this stunning Owari tsuba with us :) I love the composition of the crab, the texture and colour. WOW!

Grey,

interesting depiction of a crab and a nice tsuba. Thank you :-)

• Sad 1

• 8 years later...

Hi All,

I am a newbie in this forum and I am not sure it's good etiquette to revive a long-dormant thread. If it isn't, please accept my apologies. I would like to contribute two pictures of a very similar crab tsuba that I saw yesterday in an antiques shop (sorry for the atrocious cellphone pics including the fingers of the shop owner!)

post-4945-0-39681100-1557066290_thumb.jpgpost-4945-0-45249600-1557066287_thumb.jpeg

To my untrained eye, the carving looks somewhat coarser than in Marius' crab. It was described only as "17th century sukashi tsuba", and sold for a quite hefty sum (which, at this stage of my education, I would not have been prepared to pay even if I had really liked the tsuba). Anyway, it was basically the only Japanese item in a shop devoted to Chinese antiques, thus there might be doubts on the reliability of the description...

Cheers, Pietro

Pietro,

a good decision NOT to buy this TSUBA! To me it looks cast from the photo, but has of course to be seen in hand to be sure. The design is not nearly as good as the OWARI sample provided by Steve.  

Don't worry, the thought of buying this tsuba - for more than 1000 EUR! - never crossed my mind... ;-)

I took the pictures because I think it will be useful for my "education" to research any pieces that, for one reason or another, attract my attention. By searching "crab tsuba" in this forum I found the picture posted by Marius, which is exactly the same design but with gilding and (to my eye) a finer carving.

Cheers, Pietro

To my totally untrained eye, the first crab in Mauro's post above looks nicer than both the one from Marius' 2010 post (#3 in this thread) and the one I saw yesterday (#8 in this thread).

post-4945-0-64167600-1557141724_thumb.jpgpost-4945-0-71372800-1557141699_thumb.jpgpost-4945-0-82804100-1557141711_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Pietro

[EDIT: added side-by-side pictures]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..