Custom Type 98 koshirae?

DTM72

Can't say I have ever seen a type 98 koshirae of this caliber before. Sharkskin saya, laquered ito on the tsuka, different menuki on each side, 4 seppa on each side of the tsuba...Quite unusual all around.

Found this on eBay from a Japan seller. Can post link if someone wants it. 

98 wow1.jpg

98 wow2.jpg

98 wow3.jpg

98 wow4.jpg

98 wow5.jpg

98 wow6.jpg

• Like 1

Guest Simon R
1 hour ago, Ian B3HR2UH said:

Is there anyone else out there who thinks , like me, that this has been rebound to sell to gullible gaijin ?

Ian Brooks

Right. The other menuki just happens be a simplified version of the Tokugawa family mon. Handy that.

When I first stumbled upon this, I thought it was a pieced-together monstrocity of a naval saya with a Type 3 tsuka and Type 98 tsuba. Once I looked closer I realized this was actually assembled this way. I would guess this officer came from a well to do family and spared no expense for his koshirae. Now I really wonder what blade was in there. Maybe as @dwmc says it was a Gassan blade, or maybe it was a very old and valueable family blade. 

Has anyone noticed the markings on the tsuba? I can't really tell but one looks like the na symbol for Nagoya. Anyone have any guesses on the tsuba markings?

I personally like it, but would agree with Ian and Matt, that it's refurbished.

The saya appears to have no scuffs, yet the fittings do. The Ito is just Brand New, not 80yrs old. Apart from the odd menuki, the fittings are nice.

Just my opinion.

I looked into his other items for sale and it appears he runs some kind of Disposal store, lots of items in there.

He is way overpriced for my liking, he has a type 95 'genuine' bit rough, koshirea for sale at $US 2800, the blade is snapped (being in Japan).

If he thinks he's appealing to buyers from outside Japan, then he's dreaming. He's fishing in the wrong market place.

I was lost when he also had an obvious Chinese fake type 95 for $US 1600.....also broken blade.  

Things that make you go hmmmm

Links to       Fake type95:  Get me outta here!

Real type 95:  not out of my wallet!

And he nicely uses Dawson book to try and convince you!! 

Added pictures to preserve the thread's life.

A.jpg

B.jpg

C.jpg

D.jpg

E.jpg

I.jpg

J.jpg

• Wow 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..