14 replies to this topic

#1 NihontoCollector

NihontoCollector

Jo Saku

• Members
  • 198 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 August 2017 - 12:22 AM

I would like to take a minute to recommend the (paid) services and publications of Markus Sesko to any Nihonto enthusiast.

Markus is not only a very friendly person but one of the foremost authorities on translating Nihonto related Japanese works into English.

His books are a great asset for any collector and highly recommended. If you do not own them yet, go for them!

https://markussesko.com/books/

Investing in excellent books first is a much smarter investment then buying a sword. Having his books will pay off in many ways and are a must have for your library.

Furthermore Markus offers translation services at very reasonable and thus affordable cost as well as appraisals.

If you have some though Sayagaki, Signature or Origami he is the man to ask. Markus can also give you an appraisal to count own at a modest price.

I can recommend him without hesitation and admire his oppinion.

• Jean, Gilles, k morita and 8 others like this

Luis

#2 Vermithrax16

Vermithrax16

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 412 posts
  • LocationBoston Metro North

Posted 03 August 2017 - 12:37 AM

Agree 100%. Markus is working on a project of mine right now and so far the quality of the work has been sky high and the price very fair. Can recommend 100% as well.

• Jean and k morita like this

Jeremiah L.

"I wonder if we're being drawn into an ambush. Ultimately, it doesn't matter. We have to do this. We've already bought tickets for the last dance. And it's going to be a real gala event."  - Robopocalypse 

#3 Jean

Jean

Daimyo

• Moderators
  • 7,123 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 03 August 2017 - 01:12 AM

The real question, guys, is: Who cannot recommand Markus? :)
  • Brian, uwe, peterd and 1 other like this
Jean L.
Soshin Gimei

#4 almeister

almeister

Chu Jo Saku

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 03:23 AM

When you consider the time/effort/research that goes into Markus's translation services/literature you really do appreciate the small amount you have paid for his services

" Totally Recommend - Excellent Work Markus ! " 😊👍🍺
AlanK
  • Jean, BIG and Vermithrax16 like this

#5 Ken-Hawaii

Ken-Hawaii

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 2,487 posts
  • LocationKaneohe, Hawaii, USA

Posted 03 August 2017 - 08:17 AM

Not to mention the college-level course he's providing for free on kantei!  :thumbsup: :beer:

Ken

• Jean likes this

#6 lokomilo

lokomilo

Chu Saku

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:31 AM

I confirm. A professional and really friendly person.

• Jean likes this

Jos.C

#7 Gakusee

Gakusee

Jo Saku

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:36 AM

The best
  • Jean likes this
Michael S.

#8 kissakai

kissakai

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdon

Posted 03 August 2017 - 04:15 PM

A few weeks ago a sayagaki that was translated by Markus was posted

No idea what it cost but it must have been worth every penny

Hes helped me no end

Highly recommended

• Jean likes this

Grev UK

#9 Derek

Derek

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 377 posts
  • LocationMN / WI border

Posted 04 August 2017 - 12:01 AM

I had a difficult sayagaki from Tanobe San translated by Markus. It was a very professionally done translation, and was $30.
  • Jean and Vermithrax16 like this

Derek

If you know the enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles.
-Sun Tzu

#10 BIG

BIG

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 868 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 10:10 AM

Discussed his moving to the u.s. yesterday evening. A not replaceable loss for the german/european collectors. And a treasure for the u.s. community.

Best Regards
Peter Reusch

Dai ichi - dai man - dai kichi

#11 Surfson

Surfson

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 901 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 01:47 PM

I wholeheartedly agree with the chorus of praise for Markus.  I had a chance to get to know him as he stayed with us during the Chicago show and I have extended the offer for him to do the same for every Chicago show from here on.  He is a quiet, humble and very friendly guy who is enthralled with nihonto, has a huge intellectual appetite for knowledge and has a true gift for languages.  He is working so hard to make available to all of us English speaking collectors a literature which was never within our grasp without learning to read kanji well enough to read ourselves.  He is also uniquely educated in reading old and ancient kanji, characters which everyday Japanese people can't read and which are associated specifically to the sword.  His brilliance in the field is starting to get him entry to seeing and appraising some of the finest collections in the world, and I hope that he can develop some great photography skills and find the ability to document these collections for all of us.  Sorry to go on about this, but I can say that Markus' writings have opened up a completely new and exciting dimension to collecting Japanese swords for me and I am eternally grateful.  Cheers, Bob

• Brian, Stephen, uwe and 3 others like this
Robert S.

#12 Brian

Brian

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,817 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 04 August 2017 - 04:12 PM

And not to detract at all from all the things said about Markus...but watching the progress some of our other members have made in translating and understanding sword-related language really impresses me. We have more than just a tiny handful of people that bode well for the future of translating, although no-where near at the same level as Markus. But guys, some of you impress me daily.

• Stephen, b.hennick, uwe and 3 others like this

- Admin -

#13 vajo

vajo

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 838 posts
  • LocationGermany / Bavaria

Posted 04 August 2017 - 05:58 PM

:thumbs:

Chris S. 

#14 PNSSHOGUN

PNSSHOGUN

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 338 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 August 2017 - 12:05 PM

The only reason I cannot recommend Markus Sesko is because buying all his excellent books will send you broke!

In all seriousness one of the most treasured people in the community, his works are truly indispensable learning tools. 

John

#15 uwe

uwe

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 583 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 August 2017 - 04:01 PM

I can confirm all the above said, also for the katchu-community! 🙂
Uwe Sacklowski

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users