Arsenal Stamps.

If I remember correctly, Kongobyoe Moritaka didn't make blades through the entire war. He was called to service and the last blade he made during the war was the one he carried with him. After the war he resumed his trade. Lovely work!

*apologies for the continued off topic...* :oops:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hm...

I might be hijacking the thread here, but I asked this here (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11685) but never got any real answer. I was not aware of this thread, so I apologize.

What I'd like to know is: Are the arsenal stamp and "serial number" related? Or are those two completely different things just found next to each other? My sword (traditionally made but still a military blade) has a number but no arsenal stamp. So I was wondering what that might mean...

Thanks.

@Admins: If you consider this a double post, please feel free to do your job. I am aware I might be walking the line here, sorry for that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Sencho san,

The sword was on ebay? I think...it was a showato in kaigunto mounts just signed INABA. I posted it for the stamp, which I have not seen before. I have seen this maker a few times (always kaigunto) and sometimes it is a longer mei INABA KANENAMI (or KANEYOSHI?). I have only had one in hand and it was definitely showato, probably Seki...I can't remember ever finding him on a list anywhere. There was quite a bit of discussion on him some time back so if you type INABA KANENAMI in search box something should come up.

Regards,

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

a blade is currently on sale somewhere that has this stamp on the nakago. I'm not sure if this is a machined blade or a real one, but that doesn't matter.

What does this stamp mean?

I don't recognize most of the kanji and I can't find my kanji book right now. What I see is the sign for new (shin - right 3rd), the number 2659 (middle), the sign for sword (tou - left 5th)

Thanks.

post-2284-14196831500975_thumb.jpg

Thank you, Bruno and Morita-dono.

Now I'm curious: That sword was made by Murayama Kaneshige. From what I read he made traditional blades and non-tradtional ones. Does this stamp indicate either of those? I'd post a link to the offer, but the images aren't good enough to recognize Hamon or Hada...

EDIT: I'd also like to ask again (I asked in Nov, but never got an answer): Are the arsenal stamp and "serial number" related? Or are those two completely different things just found next to each other? My sword (traditionally made but still a military blade) has a number but no arsenal stamp. So I was wondering what that might mean...

I think they are more contract number than serial number. As Brian said serial numbers are found only on NCO and Mantetsuto.

I think without being certain, these contract numbers indicate traditionnal swords as they are here to control the supply of tamahagane. I am not sure.

Just to add another seppa mark to the heart marked seppa on the above post...here is a star.

Like the heart, this star is on the Type 3 seppas (also on fuchi).

Both blades were good makers ...the heart on a Seki Kanehide 1944 date with heavy metal saya and standard quality fittings/binding etc.

This star is on high quality lacquered wood fittings on an undated Ichihara Nagamitsu (Okayama/Osaka).

The marks are most likely the fittings supplier's marks.

Regards,

post-787-14196832015228_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

It appears to be the characters which are within the 'Kami' (God) stamp, however, there is no cherry blossom leaf outline.

You can find this stamp in 'Military Swords of Japan 1868-1945' by Fuller & Gregory pg82 (number xiii). It is apparently very rare and only been found on a Shin Gunto Tsuba previously.

Ernst