Den Yagyu

BIG

Yes Thomas a „hidden sleeper“ from TOUKEN KOMACHI. Pics from Ms. Shiho Tsukada. 

Tsuruta san sold a kodai yagyu with suigetsu motiv. But I bought this den yagyu..

Futatsu-Hiki Ryo-sukashi

Hozon issued January 26 Heisei 21 ( 2009 )

Iron

Maru Shape Kaku-Mimi, Koniku

Ji-sukashi

Ryo-Hitsu hole

There appears spiral shape, Ji-mon both on omote and ura

Taste of iron rust in blueish calm tone and fine frosted surface

exellent condition and fine surface

Size length 7,31

width 7,10

thickness of edge 0,61

weight 103,5 gramm

• Like 1

Hi Gary, its a martial arts design by yagyu Toshikane. It means that you have two possibilities ( but not the golden middle way ). Hiki means counter attack on the backwards move. 

There is an old saying in German: IN GEFAHR UND HÖCHSTER NOT BRINGT DER MITTELWEG DEN TOD

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 9/7/2023 at 10:29 AM, BIG said:

Hi Gary, its a martial arts design by yagyu Toshikane. It means that you have two possibilities ( but not the golden middle way ). Hiki means counter attack on the backwards move. 

There is an old saying in German: IN GEFAHR UND HÖCHSTER NOT BRINGT DER MITTELWEG DEN TOD

Germans always have the best sayings.

• Like 1

Yes Florian, this and the „not selling“ years..

Hi Grev, Im glad finding it. There are not so many items on the market. Some people gave me advice to buy the AOI kodai yagyu with motiv moon and water ( suigetsu ), was sold in the AOI auction. The last auction price I noticed was 165000 yen. Think it was sold for about 180000-200000 yen.

Best

Thanks @BIG for the additional photos of your fine tsuba. I really like Yagyū tsuba but do not own any antique ones, but I have two modern tsuba one I had a custom made for my martial arts training sword. It has a classical Yagyū design. In the photo below I am using the modern Yagyū  tsuba and demonstrating Yagyū Seigōryū Battō (柳生制剛流お抜刀). My teacher trained at the Yagyū Kai in the 1980s under Yagyū Nobuharu 21st headmaster of Owari Yagyū Shinkage Ryū.      

BattoPhoto.thumb.jpg.d75d1b9da9a4fbf1c1dbbea39f74563a.jpg

Here is a photo of my Yagyu Tsuba Utsushi unmounted from the sword and the historical example with NBTHK paper reference. The design of the tsuba references the first kata set of the Honden: Sangakuen-no Tachi.  

ModernYagyuTsuba.thumb.jpg.9c7996d738679e046e256b18442f2fc7.jpg 

YagyuTsubaNBTHKHozonTrianglePaperView.thumb.JPG.96a2b142e4d36120525bf499a48ff63b.JPG

• Like 8

40 minutes ago, kissakai said:

I wonder why the 'den' attribution

Looks good to me

My personal opinion is that Den- matters a lot less with fittings than with swords.

In usage, it is equivalent to "More or less".  With a few schools like Kaneyama tsuba, the NBTHK seems to use it as a short change. With other schools, it is more of a positive away from kodai or other vague descriptions.

With Higo schools, I would say the Den- is almost always a positive.

With Yagyu, it is hell of a lot better than Kodai Yagyu. So basically Yagyu "More or less". ie. Very much Yagyu  = NOT kodai-Yagyu.

This one was with Touken Koumachi and looked a relative bargain. If I did not already have my "One-n-Done" TH Yagyu of a design with significant meaning to me, I would have picked up this one.

I will admit I thought about it a bunch of times. There aren't many good tsuba out there at a decent price. This was one of a small group waiting to get picked off. Peter pulled the trigger. Good to him.

• Like 3

Yes I was trigger-happy with this tsuba. Important is the HOZON paper and the tsuba itself. Matches with the first „generation“ IMO.

Curran please end this thread with some nice pics of your yagyu. All is said and discussed..

Best

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..