Rare footage of General Yamashita presents German Field Marshal a sword during WW2

Okan

7 hours ago, Okan said:

Hopefully, @Stegel will take a look as I think it is a Type 95 with a steel crossguard.

Edit:  False alarm.  It is an officers sword with a fullered blade, iron crossguard, and leather scabbard cover with restraining strap.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, vajo said:

I wonder where that sword has gone after the war

Well Chris according to Wikipedia.......

In August 1945, Brauchitsch was arrested at his estate and imprisoned by the British at Camp 198 in South Wales. He was charged at Nuremberg with war crimes related to his command of Operation Barbarossa.[46] However, he died, aged 67, on 18 October 1948 of bronchial pneumonia in a British-controlled military hospital in Hamburg before facing trial for conspiracy and crimes against humanity.[

So it probably ended up in Britain (maybe in a 'private' collection ....albeit with far less Customs 'import' requirements than Tony C has experience in recent times. Just speculation.

Rob

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Fantastic array of photos, Trystan! So many Type 32 and a good array of 95s. Love the cross hatched one!

Off topic but also right on topic... attending militaria shows and only displaying swords for education and people's interest (not selling). No matter how many and how big you make the PLEASE DON'T TOUCH OR HANDLE sign, there are at least a dozen people that just grab up swords and slide them right on out. Usually cutting edge down.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Shamsy said:

Fantastic array of photos, Trystan! So many Type 32 and a good array of 95s. Love the cross hatched one!

Off topic but also right on topic... attending militaria shows and only displaying swords for education and people's interest (not selling). No matter how many and how big you make the PLEASE DON'T TOUCH OR HANDLE sign, there are at least a dozen people that just grab up swords and slide them right on out. Usually cutting edge down.

You are 100% right. My 16 year old daughter will jump up and say "Don't touch the blade! Please read the signs!" She gets more angry than I do. lol. She will grab the microfiber and wipe the blade afterwards. Good kid.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..