Gunto Tsuba

Hi guys just doing some research on a gunto that a mate picked up recently, it has an old blade and

is in pretty in rough condition all round.

I was looking at the tsuba and noticed that it has four stamps on it, i was wondering if anyone could

tell me the meaning of them.

many thanks

Chris H

Screenshot_20210501-120435_WhatsApp.jpg

• Like 1

Chris,

I have seen that once before.  I've searched my files, thought I had saved it, but can't find it now.  I also THINK it was presented to Nick Komiya at Warrelics and no one knew what it was.  But I've been chasing so many rabbits lately my memory is doing somersaults and other tricks.  I would recommend posting it on the Warrelics Japanese Militaria forum.  I can do it if you like, and update when I get some word.  Let me know.

• Like 1

The tsuba is referenced in the excellent book of Richard FULLER, "Japanese military and civil swords & dirks", page 61, plate 77. The tensho script stamps (seal form) read vertically from right to left, TO KYO / WAKA RAI. Richard Fuller stated that it could be a nationalistic phrase, WAKA RAI meaning "young torrent"......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

東京 若瀨

3 hours ago, Bruce Pennington said:

Thanks for the reference Gilles!  I've forgotten more than I remember these days!  Maybe that's where I had seen it before.  Richard's errata sheet for this book corrected the reading to what Hamish posted above - "Wakasei of Tokyo which is the name of the manufacturing company."

Bruce

You saw the unique 若瀨 scabbard drag before.

若瀨.jpg

Another one of the better known sword shops.  During the war years, the shop went by the name of 若瀬軍刀製作所 [Wakase Guntō Seisaku-jo].  For your information, the picture is upside down.

若瀬 = Wakase.

東京 = Tōkyō.

See this post by "k morita" for another example.

Gunto -Tsuba, Post #5

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..