Is this a fatal flaw?

You can buy these in numbers. They are from non-registered swords taken from their owners and cut by the police in length of no more than 150 mm (cutting edge). You can use them for polishing trials or to forge smaller knives or re-process the steel in an OROSHIGANE furnace.

Usually they have been cut recently, and it seems the blades are checked prior to the cutting by an expert (NBTHK?) to be sure not to destroy a valuable blade

• Like 3

JP there is a guy i follow on Instagram who makes  traditional style Japanese blades who has some nakago meguki nuki for sale if you are looking for one. I believe he operates out of British Columbia. This is his website, they are not overly expensive imo.

http://islandblacksmith.ca/

http://islandblacksmith.ca/available-work/forged-mekugi-nuki-nakago/#/tab-description

Thank you Logan,

I'll keep the link! Although a French member has offered me one, so I will save on shipping. I wonder how the customs would react opening a parcel with a piece of rusty steel inside! 🤣

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

I've seen a few of these chopped/cut swords for sale out of Japan, but none so far that would actually ship to the USA. The examples that I've seen seem to go for between $13 US dollar's to $40 US dollars, some are single pieces, some are a full sword that's cut up.

I would really like to get my hands on 1 or 2 decent length examples, for experimenting on.

Any leads on where I might be able to buy 1 or 2 would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..