Significance of Silver Plated Type 98's

1 hour ago, MarcoUdin said:

Does RIA send you a picture of the tang if you request it? I'm not interested but just find it incomprehensible that they don't post a photo of the tang

They say in the description that the mekugi are covered by the wrap so they didn't want to mess with it.

8 hours ago, MarcoUdin said:

Does RIA send you a picture of the tang if you request it? I'm not interested but just find it incomprehensible that they don't post a photo of the tang

I have complained to them about their lot pictures.  They will send additional pics.  But they've been at this long enough to know that real sword buyers want that information and should post the pics up front. 

• Thanks 1

RIA is a gun auction. Of their upcoming premier sale, which are their largest and most prestigious sales in the year, 14 out of 2085 lots are Japanese swords, < 1%. Sometimes their sales will have more than that, but sometimes they have less. When you consider the prices their guns command and the volume of guns they sell, Japanese swords are a rounding error to them at best.

That said, RIA has superior customer service in the auction industry. They go out of their way to source photos for what their clientele need - at least that has always been my experience. Put yourself in their shoes - the moment they release a catalog, they are inundated with requests for add'l photos. Do they de-prioritize lowly gunto collectors spending much less than their top gun buyers? That has never seemed so to me. I have always received the photos requested, exactly as I requested them, and before the auction starts - even when I request them 2-3 days before hand.

Of all the seller bashing that goes on, RIA really does not deserve it. Try asking them for the photos you need and be kind. They will take care of you.

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

To summarize from noted examples:

• Solid and pierced Tsuba
  • Quite a few have aluminium Saya
  • Different Koshirae makers (one by Yamato fittings shop)
  • Mix of old blades and Gendai (a couple by Amahide)
  • A few recorded as special presentation gifts
  • One in Kai Gunto mounts

Additional examples in this thread: https://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/38167-not-something-you-see-every-day/

• Like 1

Here are some pictures of my Short Gunto with silver plated fittings. The Tsuba is pierced. This one has an inscription on the wood lining of the saya stating "for Major Kawada, ASAP" This is by far the shortest Gunto in nice fittings I have come across. It's a real treat. 

3.thumb.JPG.c0cd4cf612ba0ebbe144eb32190a863f.JPGimage.thumb.jpeg.613d8b48fd728b485d82ff014b1ae8f9.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.fd26917e9fd35f5f7c3c977ce7ee9896.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Wow 2

• 4 months later...

Hello,

I just registered at your forum from Brussels, Europe.

Japanese swords not being my main collecting area, I do have few shin-gunto, Imperial marine M 1883 and a couple others in the collection.

Very recently I found this shin-gunto with silver plated mounts and fittings.

It's a well worn sword, but I bought it because of its unusual look with the silvered parts.

The tang is nicely signed, I would appreciate if there is any information available about the smith who signed it.

Thanks and best regards,

Herman

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

• Like 1

Here’s another Army sword with Silver-plated fittings.  This sword happens to have been made by Amahide as well (earlier in the thread I provided photos of another Amahide with Silver-played fittings—though this sword has a lacquered wood saya).  

A few photos below, but here is the link to see the rest of the photos:

https://stcroixblades.com/shop/products/Japanese-wwii-army-sword-ww2-samurai-gendai-amahide-tamahagane-hot-stamp-th/

—Matthew Brice

FEF6095B-E4FD-4317-AA10-B31A562258B9.jpeg

45572E6E-14E3-4126-A5B5-AAAD6544A7AF.jpeg

7E791C54-D7C5-4345-9403-22E32FC85B0B.jpeg

13C721EC-C05C-49FE-A3B3-4D5C100248C6.jpeg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Herr Mann said:

Hello,

I just registered at your forum from Brussels, Europe.

Japanese swords not being my main collecting area, I do have few shin-gunto, Imperial marine M 1883 and a couple others in the collection.

Very recently I found this shin-gunto with silver plated mounts and fittings.

It's a well worn sword, but I bought it because of its unusual look with the silvered parts.

The tang is nicely signed, I would appreciate if there is any information available about the smith who signed it.

Thanks and best regards,

Herman

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

Herman,

@SteveM may correct me, but I think your blade was made by Yoshimitsu of Seki.  I think it's dated 1942.  Fascinating writing under the normal mei and date, though.  Maybe Steve can make those out for us?

Looks like the inscription below the date is another date expressed in Chinese zodiac terms (庚寅), which would be 1950. Doesn't really make sense to me since its a different date than what was written by the smith (1942).

And under the signature is also a mystery: 泰安 直? Taian Naotane. If I were to guess I'd say its just the scratchings of someone who was bored. 

And yes, its Yoshimitsu of Seki. Nōshū Seki-jū Yoshimitsu saku.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SteveM said:

Dang!  Mark this down in the history books - I got one right! Ha!  I agree, the writing on the end of the nakago looks period, but added.  Unusual.

9 hours ago, PNSSHOGUN said:

note the hanger is a removable type.

John, what do you make of that?  I've never seen a single hanger being the removable type.  Custom job?

No idea, it may have simply been what was available in the shops inventory. It has the early style shape of hanger, the rest of the Koshirae is Type 98 standard from the early 40's. The placement suggests it was supposed to be the only hanger as well, rather than being far back or forward relative to the Koiguchi. 

• Like 1

On 2/7/2023 at 11:12 PM, SteveM said:

Looks like the inscription below the date is another date expressed in Chinese zodiac terms (庚寅), which would be 1950. Doesn't really make sense to me since its a different date than what was written by the smith (1942).

And under the signature is also a mystery: 泰安 直? Taian Naotane. If I were to guess I'd say its just the scratchings of someone who was bored. 

Bruce, Steve,

Many thanks for your comments and inputs on this shin-gunto!

But why would anyone make scratches into a steel tang, which have no significance at all?

Best regards,

Herman

On 2/7/2023 at 11:12 PM, SteveM said:

I really appreciate your time and inputs, gentlemen.

But now I am totally confused, because this is what another source has told me about the tang marks:

- smith: Kanehiro (see pics)

- year of production: showa 19 (1944)

Who is wrong?

Unfortunately I cannot judge myself...

Best regards,

Herman

1.JPG

2.JPG

Herman

I am a bit confused the signature you circled is Kanehiro  but it is NOT dated and i don't see a date in the text. The Showa stamp is generally found on earlier blades late 30's and very early 40's after that the Seki stamp is more common.  i probably missed something

29 minutes ago, Mark said:

Herman

I am a bit confused the signature you circled is Kanehiro  but it is NOT dated and i don't see a date in the text. The Showa stamp is generally found on earlier blades late 30's and very early 40's after that the Seki stamp is more common.  i probably missed something

Hi Mark,

No, it's me, I am new to all this.

Thx,

Herman

• 3 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..