Going To See A Sword

Prewar70

I'm going to see this Wakizashi Friday afternoon.  It's the start of my turkey season here in MN so hopefully I will have a nice gobbler on ice in the morning and a fun sword to consider in the afternoon!  Here's what I have for pics so far.  Saya is in good condition.  Blade has a few openings as you can see and is unsigned.  Provenance, same old story, sword has been in the family a long time, brought back by a world traveler.  One thing that did jump out at me is the tsuka.  The ray skin, if that's what it is, looked a little off to me, in color and the nodules all seem very uniform.  Everything else seemed honest.  What do you think? Thank you.

post-2064-0-23213700-1460592669_thumb.jpgpost-2064-0-96734200-1460592685_thumb.jpgpost-2064-0-78299000-1460592702_thumb.jpgpost-2064-0-77497500-1460592717_thumb.jpgpost-2064-0-16362300-1460592731_thumb.jpgpost-2064-0-31124600-1460592741_thumb.jpgpost-2064-0-21215300-1460592753_thumb.jpgpost-2064-0-04025400-1460592768_thumb.jpgpost-2064-0-23276100-1460592778_thumb.jpgpost-2064-0-86643000-1460592791_thumb.jpg

Looks to me like an authentic wakizashi, it's all there and in decent condition, including the polish.  I would have bet that the mounts look better in person, and it's ok at the asking price and if you got it at some discount from $600 you did very well.   Probably best to resist the temptation to strip the mounts from it for other purposes, since I agree with Grey that the value is mostly in the mounts.  Looking forward to seeing some better photos of the tsuba, menuki and F/K.  

I might be going out a limb, but there are a number of very faint, but sharp lines on the spine of the sword.  Could these be kirikomi or battle scars from coming into contact with other blades during battle?  Difficult to photo but hopefully you can see them.  They seem to be clustered, I can make out 4 or so, 2 together.

post-2064-0-16218500-1460932804_thumb.jpgpost-2064-0-54492600-1460932820_thumb.jpgpost-2064-0-86801000-1460932935_thumb.jpgpost-2064-0-50770900-1460932975_thumb.jpg

Sorry but it makes no sense to send this to a polisher.  James would be out the cost of post both ways, the polisher certainly has better use of his time, and all that would be learned is what's been said here already: this is a ho-hum unsigned wakizashi with serious defects that isn't worth a polish.

Swords like this get polished because beginners won't give up hope; old timers know better.

Grey

I don't know if anyone listening is a hunter, but reading your post Peter got me to thinking.  If you've ever been to Africa, or here in North America, or anywhere in the world chasing game, you can usually put hunters in one of two camps.  Some are there because they want the biggest and the best, nothing else will do.  And others are there more for the experience and memories, and a good representative animal is enough.  It might not make B&C, but it might have been the oldest, with the most character, or whatever other attribute blows your skirt up.  I'm a neophyte nihonto admirer/collector.  I can go to AOI Japan and buy a very nice papered sword and I probably will, as can anybody.  But what I am finding is there is a thrill to the chase that can be just as rewarding, if not more in some cases.  I've experienced that in other areas of collecting as well.  I have no false hopes about this sword, no plans to polish, and no desire to try and make it something that it isn't.  But I can still appreciate it!  I don't mind character, a few flaws here and there, but what I really like is originality and honesty.  This piece is honest, it's not pretending to be anything that it isn't.  I'm asking a lot of questions and taking a bunch of photos (more than fellow members Muramasa haha) to learn and soak up what I can from this very knowledgeable community.  So I believe this sword to be worthy of owning, and I've looked at it every night before going to bed and after watching the new season of Outlander :)   That old dagga boy with his horns worn to a nub is every bit the trophy compared to that soft 40 incher!  So I appreciate all the commentary and information, it all helps.

• Like 4

James you hit the nail on the head, these old time guys poo pooing the sword because they go to shows and have been for years, spent the better part of their live surrounded by very good swords, they have no adventure left in them, keep searching and make some shows then learn nihonto see good stuff, then when you get as versed as them you can tell a newbie, why would you want that??

Hopefully hell tell you because its a thrill to uncover something that old with that much history, it makes my mind wonder.

Hey, wait  minute. Steve is calling ME an "old guy.". Holy cow.

James, your babies will not starve if you buy this sword. It also won't take much room in your basement. If you keep hunting, learn from each discovery, build a library, I am pretty sure that this sword will move to your basement.

Sword hunting is THE American style of sword collecting. You are following a well-traveled path. Good luck.

Peter

Don't get me wrong.  I wasn't saying James shouldn't have bought the sword, just that he shouldn't spend money to have a polisher look at it.  There is a tendency on NMB, for posters to suggest that blades need to be polished and I often think that would be a mistake.

Grey

• Like 1

Very well said James! There certainly is a thrill to finding something that can be lost over time and as a collection matures. While the message of, "Why would you buy that?" Can be taken many ways, the way I read it is - in some cases (not attempting to put words in Peter's mouth), is that they are trying to help you save $600 in this case and get something better. That said, as I mentioned above, it is an honest Wakizashi. Not at risk of making Juyo any time soon, but then it's not trying to be something like that.

One thing that can be lost on "seasoned" collectors (tongue firmly in cheek as Stephen is getting well seasoned!) is that when you move to buying $3k, then $4k, then $5k (etc.) swords, the risk of saying, "Oh what the hell?! Why not buy it?!", goes up dramatically and those with budgets cannot make loose decisions with that amount of money. The purchase becomes logical, measured, investment based, etc., and some of the 'fun'/emotion can be lost. Don't get me wrong, I still get one hell of a kick every time a sword delivers - as I seldom find stuff at shows these days that fits my niche - but it is somewhat different. Maybe doing the right thing up front, research, etc., takes some of the fun out of it. I do remember militaria show finds, where I say, "Okay! Let's find out what I bought! I wonder what that stamp on the 'tang' means. It must make it really special!" It was more "fun" but I sure as heck enjoy the swords I buy now one hell of a lot better than the ones I used to buy.

It is interesting having my evolution in collecting documented here on the NMB. I have read back to some of my earliest posts and been startled by just how stupid I sounded! I am sure I still do to quite a few here. You are obviously off to a far better start than me! Good luck, enjoy the ride, and have fun with your sword and collecting.

• Like 1

plan to come to the Chicago show, you are not that far away. You will see and learn a lot and can show your sword to polishers in person and get an opinion.  You can see and compare  hundreds of swords in one place

• Like 1

Turkey season.

Hunting for turkeys, or the advice of a jive turkey?

Alan F. (relatively old guy who chooses not to collect bargain bin stuff)

P.S. The last four posts, starting with Peter Bleed's post, were very sensible. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..