Translation help needed.

iowa1111

I have just acquired a couple of swords and would like to see if I may find some assistance in identifying the age and makers. These are not going to be put up for sale- I am just very interested and have very little knowledge. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will be putting them in two different posts-Here is the first of a Wakizashi. I found it in a shirasaya- and it also had writing on it. I will post as well. Thanks to any help.

post-2056-14196779889348_thumb.jpg

post-2056-14196779892279_thumb.jpg

post-2056-14196779894947_thumb.jpg

Here is what it says. 牛桐家實一心力畄雄 What it means is something else. Something about the sword being an heroic strong and true stopper from the house of Cow and Kiri tree. Wow, maybe Koichi sama or Kiyoshi sama can make heads or tails of it. John

Iowa,

Could you please sign your post as per the Board rules?

Just to add that :

if Morita san cannot translate it

You are deep in the (I can't find the Rhyme)

Morita san is our ultimate recourse. His knowledge in this field surpasses all members' ...

I thank you, Jean.

iowa1111

I fear wrong answer and wrong interpretation of the Kanji characters for you.

So,i did not want to answer easily that the Kanji characters of the 3rdd photograph was slogan or personal name or somethig.

:)

Joseph,

Something about the geometry of this one is off to me. The lines and shape is awkward and the kissaki has been badly reshaped, placing the yokote in the wrong place. I expect at one time this was polished badly or had serious damage that was repaired. Not sure if there is a boshi or not anymore. It even looks like the mune dips down as it reaches the point area. Not much we will be able to tell you except the translation. And that might have been put on to enhance it :dunno:

As always, the catch 22 is that it needs a decent polish to really bring it back, but the polish might not be worth it. One we all struggle with.

Brian

As Brian said- very strange geometry. Dulled and rounded yokote, but mirror like finish. Very abrupt and small kissaki relative to the cross section further down. Dramatic taper.

Someone like Stephen would need to look at the kissaki in person to determine what is going on there to try and reverse engineer what gave this wak such geometry.

hate to say it Joe, it looks like it was a broken blade and shaped to a wak, nakago poorly shaped, a full front photo would have been best insted of the side. why it has treasure on it is beyond me. it looks so well cut too, the kanji that is, maybe at one time a great blade. dont think we need to meet unless you want me too.

if Morita san cannot translate it

You are deep in the (I can't find the Rhyme)

Morita san is our ultimate recourse. His knowledge in this field surpasses all members' ...

Jean,

Shyly I dare to compete with Morita-san's skills. My version of the wakizashi-mei would be:

- isshin (as in Koa Isshin), meaning: "wholeheartedly, with all the strength of my heart"

- chikara, meaning: strength, power (just in case you haven't noticed yet)

- the fourth character is tricky to translate, for I haven't seen it on mei yet. I'll call it "Wilson", because it reminds me of the volley-ball in the movie "cast-away" (with Tom Hanks) after things started growing out of it.

- Yu, meaning: "male, brave, great"

meaning/translation therefore is: "wholeheartedly strength (Wilson) brave"

I'm sure Stephen wants to check the delicate habaki-moto area in hand in order to evaluate the straight transition-line between polished area and nakago.

The shape of the blade reminds me of late Heian/early Kamakura-period examples, where the blade is tapering abruptly towards the point and curvature seems to "bow" towards the top. Good reason to check it carefully; not to forget the excellent carving of the mei.

Sorry, forgot to take my meds against sarcasm.

reinhard

post-1086-1419678010449_thumb.jpg

Well Jean, I'm mystified (as I often am)...apart from Morita san and ottou812 listing the correct kanji, I haven't seen anything that actually translates the meaning of the kanji phrase or slogan...what do you see that I have missed?

regards,

George.

Respectfully guys, I think the translation is like a dog chasing its tail. I don't think we are going to get a clear translation, because I don't think there is one. The comments are pointing to this one being low class and ruined. I don't think the mei is a: original, b: well done and c: done by someone knowledgeable.

Everything points to this one having been worked on, messed around with, and misrepresented.

Jut what I (and a few others) see.

Brian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..