I Have 2 Swords Stuck In Japan...

Various airlines have contracts with EMS in different countries for handling different types of goods. There are 8 airlines who can carry packages from Japan on EMS to other countries, different airlines for different countries. The reason that people have problems with "weird rules" about swords coming from Japan via EMS and inconsistent behavior is that it depends on the contract with the individual airline about what they can carry and where.

So right now depending on where you are you can still get a sword delivered, but not in the USA via EMS. I think the airline for the USA carrying swords is JAL (it is for most countries) and with the massive reduction in flights, skyrocketing infection rates, and impossibility for people to cross borders... it is just not happening now. 

It's not reasonable to criticize Aoi several times for not wanting to break the law and get themselves into permanent trouble for your one time purchase. And if the item is seized for being falsely declared, you're not going to shrug your shoulders and say "whelp, there goes $5k I guess", you are going to be on their case for making an insurance claim and they cannot do that if the item is falsely declared. So they are working in their own best interests, and in your own best interests. So let them do that.

Be patient, take care of yourself and your family. Things will get to normal as soon as everyone stops worrying about immediate inconveniences and work together to do the necessary things to prevent spread of the virus, and from there services will automatically come back. When that is, is entirely based on how well people can cooperate to stop the spread of the virus. 

• Like 18

• 5 weeks later...

YAHOO!! I just took delivery of two fantastic swords from Aoi Japan!! They finally broke down and did some kind of deal with UPS (who had previously informed me on the phone that they do not ship "weapons" - no way- no how). I had to pay an additional $38 in customs fees, and provide my social security number to some lady at UPS over the phone. I am not in the habit of doing that, but whatever, got the shipment through.

Whew, that was a rough 5 months, but I think worth it. I hope that the group will too, after I post a few shots of these swords next week. Thanks to everybody who followed this thread. --- JT

I've been waiting for over a month now for some tosogu from the USA sent by USPS express international.$40

I've received items from USPS sent three weeks later in about 8 days by normal post and Fed ex items from Canada in about 3-4 days.

I've had no tracking updates in weeks on the Express international parcel.should I assume it's lost and get the sender to claim ?

Adam-

The current Administration here in the US is in the process of de-funding our Postal service for political reasons. It is shameful, but as it stands, I would not rely on USPS for the next few months. Apologies from everyone in the USA. We will be making a correction to our priorities soon. -- JT

• Like 3

I wonder JT why people still use them then. 

I mean there are alternatives. 

Should I ask the seller to make a claim or are we saying they will get there one day? 

P. S sorry I've hijacked your thread. 

Happy with your purchases? 

• 3 months later...

Responding to JT Nesbitt.

I too have been having difficulties with Aoi Art as of late. Before I get into the specifics I must say that up and until very lately Aoi has given me impeccable service. The blades I have bought varied in cost and quality (some cheapies, some juyo token)but they always came through for me. 

Things started to change about a month or two ago. I emailed them regarding a sword that I saw in their inventory offering to purchase. No response. I email them again a week later, same thing...no response. I then see later that week the item has a hold placed on it and is sold. I email them again asking for clarification...crickets!

Example #2. this time recently. Given my good track record with Aoi but not fully trusting them I decide to put a bid on a cheap sword in early November. I win the bid, get the usual notice about terms, conditions and payment options. So I wire transfer the funds to them. I send them an email asking them to confirm receipt of funds and.....nothing. They ghost me again. I email them a second and third time. Polite and professional ... again no response.

So now I am in limbo waiting for them to respond. I would appreciate any suggestions that members of the board may have to resolve this issue that I'm having with them. If not I hope that I may serve as a cautionary tale, should one wish to deal with them in the future. I am hoping though for a successful resolution as I have enjoyed working with them in the past, and would be pleased to update everyone on my progress or lack thereof.

I thank you all for your attention and consideration.

Kind regards,

Paul Lehingrat 

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful responses. I am waiting to hear back from my bank on the trace that I had them undertake. Once I do I think  I will give Tsuruta a call and see what the issue is.

On a more positive note it is a pleasure to be here. Thank you for having me. I look forward to getting acquainted and to broadening my education in nihonto. 

Best,

Paul

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Brief update:

I called Aoi and spoke to a very nice young lady who was able to sort me out. Payment received and confirmed and am now waiting for the export permit. Turns out my email server was blocking their emails. We resolved the issue by providing an alternate email address. During and subsequent to my call they have been great, basically killing me with kindness! lol!

Thanks again everyone!

Paul

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

JT,

Thanks for sharing your plight as a heads up to the rest of us. Aoi Art had told me a few weeks ago that they are shipping swords UPS and fittings Fed ex. I can vouch for the fast fittings delivery, but I have head similar issues to yours with swords. Bear in mind that Mr Tsuruta has a few people working for him and each employee has a different ability in communicating in English. 

Hope it all works out. 

Mark  

• 2 weeks later...

Antique nihonto are not classified as weapons ... they could be a weapon, but so can a kitchen knife and it is not classified as a weapon. Antique swords are art items for appreciation and preservation at this point in their life, and a kitchen knife is a tool for making food. So in that strict sense that's kind of how it is interpreted.

UPS is now shipping nihonto out of Japan but it depends on each dealer getting a contract with UPS to state the terms and this takes a while. But as can be seen above dealers are getting these contracts and it is starting to break up the logjam.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2020 at 2:15 PM, jt nesbitt said:

UPS (who had previously informed me on the phone that they do not ship "weapons" - no way- no how). I had to pay an additional $38 in customs fees, and provide my social security number to some lady at UPS over the phone.

this is extremely weird. ups is the only company that ships guns and ammunition. they ship tons daily. literal tons. them asking for you SS# is really messed up. why would they need that. they have no way to verify it. did they want the entire number or just the last 4? you arent even required to add that to a job application until you are hired. i have had firearms and martial art weapons shipped through them countless times.  i would contact their higher ups to find out what is the reason they needed your SS#.

https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-center/packaging-and-supplies/special-care-shipments/hazardous-materials/shipping-ammunition.page

This has been covered elsewhere, but it is standard to require a tax ID during import when packages are above a certain value. A SSN is a tax ID, but it is also possible to get a separate number you can use (usually for businesses). So the SSN is not required, but a tax ID is. Most people only have their SSN though. 

Nothing nefarious here. 

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..