Please help Identify Unmarked Short Sword

We are long time collectors,  but novices when it comes to identifying an unmarked piece.  We removed the handle,  nothing there.  Looked all around,  up and down,  still nothing.  Blade is approx. 18" long.  Any help would be much appreciated.  Thanks!

post-5426-0-68139600-1591375736_thumb.jpg

post-5426-0-00750700-1591375748_thumb.jpg

post-5426-0-88290800-1591375759_thumb.jpg

post-5426-0-50971000-1591375772_thumb.jpg

post-5426-0-49829400-1591375813_thumb.jpg

post-5426-0-82537000-1591375822_thumb.jpg

post-5426-0-85053600-1591375833_thumb.jpg

post-5426-0-97114500-1591375848_thumb.jpg

post-5426-0-66815600-1591375858_thumb.jpg

post-5426-0-29448200-1591375870_thumb.jpg

Dave,

That is interesting to hear, and was where my thoughts were headed. The grinding job is thorough and done so well it didn't damage the surrounding area. It has the feel of something sold to a non-Japanese buyer. By "out of service" do you mean it could have been a civilian, not military buyer? Quite interesting!

Matt,

That was my first thought, too. But from the ones I've seen, they are usually roughly scratched or filed. This one is too good for that, it seems.

Dave,

That is interesting to hear, and was where my thoughts were headed. The grinding job is thorough and done so well it didn't damage the surrounding area. It has the feel of something sold to a non-Japanese buyer. By "out of service" do you mean it could have been a civilian, not military buyer? Quite interesting!

Matt,

That was my first thought, too. But from the ones I've seen, they are usually roughly scratched or filed. This one is too good for that, it seems.

Out of service just means it left the national armed forces. On British stuff it means that it is no longer issued, and can be sold to a private purchaser, or to a foreign army even. Basically it means that the goods were not stolen, if found in other hands.

http://www.wilkinsonfscollection.com/wilkinsonfscollection.com/The_Broad_Arrow_Including_Ministry_Of_Supply_Markings.html

• Like 3

Those blossoms are actually called sakura, or cherry blossom in english. The "mum" is the chrysanthemum, and on swords, is only found on Imperial Household swords and those of officials assigned the work there.

18" !!! So you have a wakizashi kyugunto! Can't say I've ever seen one before!

Hamish, Vajo - ever seen one?

Also, Karen, if you don't mind, I'd like to add your pics to the "Short Gunto" thread.

Sold out of service means the military or govt is done with an item, and marks it as disposed of. To differentiate between sold/disposed of items, and those still owned or stolen from service. Not to say that's the case here, but that is what an out of service sign means. For example when surplus is auctioned off, or an item is sold because they are obsolete.

• Like 2

Still here.  I have to keep looking up all of these terms you all are using.  We took it apart quite a few years back,  and there were no markings.  A little nervous about doing it again.  I will post pic's if I get the nerve to do it again,  just don't want to wreck it.  Thank you all for sharing your invaluable knowledge with me,  it is greatly appreciated!

• Like 1

Still here. I have to keep looking up all of these terms you all are using. We took it apart quite a few years back, and there were no markings. A little nervous about doing it again. I will post pic's if I get the nerve to do it again, just don't want to wreck it. Thank you all for sharing your invaluable knowledge with me, it is greatly appreciated!

Sorry Karen, I normally try to use layman's terms but sometimes I forget!

With this kind, it's very easy to remove the handle as it's just the bamboo peg holding it on. Push that out one side, and the whole thing slides off. You won't harm it at all.

The point of interest is the shape of the tang, and possibly the age. Old family blades have a different shape than the mass-produced blades, so that is worth knowing.

• Like 1

It’s very hard to see on your pictures, Karen, but are there any file marks on the tang? Also, do you see a temper line on the blade? I think the next step would also be a picture of this temper line and of the whole naked blade. The rust on the tang is quite light, so it would match with the period the mountings were made. A temper line would help determine if the blade is traditional or not (I don’t think it is) and if there are file marks, it could give us a pointer as to the school/place it was made.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..