Please help Identify Unmarked Short Sword

Older mumei (unsigned) out of polish wakizashi blade, Ground sakura petals. However, a legitimate Kyu gunto and somewhat interesting. Perhaps $800 range.

Bruce might have a better idea of value..

Dave M.

Those blossoms are actually called sakura, or cherry blossom in english. The "mum" is the chrysanthemum, and on swords, is only found on Imperial Household swords and those of officials assigned the work there.

18" !!! So you have a wakizashi kyugunto! Can't say I've ever seen one before!

Hamish, Vajo - ever seen one?

Also, Karen, if you don't mind, I'd like to add your pics to the "Short Gunto" thread.

Short kyu gunto tho not seen often arnt rare. They are around in good numbers but because every ones obsessed with size they don't tent to sell high.

Oddly short kyus tend to have better quality mount s from what if seen

• Like 2

Thanks Hamish!

It's an interesting piece, Karen, so value is in the eye-of-the-beholder, as they say. An average Kyu-gunto with a fighting blade sells around $1,200. This one with the characteristics described above, like Dave said, would likely sell for less than that, but would just depend on where you sell it, whom is interested, etc. I personally like the uniqueness of the ground blossoms, and the shorter blade, so I'd start it at $1,000 and see if anyone bites, or sends offers.

Thanks for sharing this gunto with us!

Well, the ground-down emblem is definitely a 10-blossom sakura....

Cherry blossoms always have 5 petals, not 10, but each petal has two tips. Plum blossoms are similar (not astonishing as they all belong to the ROSACEA familiy) but have round petal tips.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..