Stolen Books

Hi guys,

I sent a full set (59 volumes) of English Token Bijutsu by the NBTHK to a customer in Connecticut, USA the end of November last year.  Up till yesterday I thought they were just lost in the mail but the customer has informed me that the box arrived, undamaged and empty.  Someone somewhere has opened it, removed the books, and sent the empty box on its way.  The post office has been informed.

If any of you learn of a set, I'd be very appreciative if you told me.

Thanks,  Grey

Hi guys,

Thanks for the kind words.  Here is the set from my website:

http://www.japaneseswordbooksandtsuba.com/store/books/b474-token-bijutsu-english-edition-all-59-issues

As for the PO delivering the empty box, I'm glad that happened.  It is a piece of the puzzle that will have to be solved if I have any hope of recovery.  I've always had great service from USPS.  For all the mailing I do there have been only 5 or 6 problems in 8 years and half of them have happened overseas.

Cheers,  Grey

Had a similar experience a couple of years ago. Box apparently split open in shipment, and several books didn't make it to the destination.

The package was insured, but USPS refused to pay, because there was no "proof" of the price paid. They wanted to see (for example) an online auction transaction that defined the price/value.

Pete

I hope they are found Grey, I hate theives. A local delivery guy here told me my neighbor used to work for same postal service and was fired for stealing packages(now he is a scumbag drug dealer) and apparently its a common crime.

Greg

some kind´a very strange story in sum....

never had such yet- equally never heard about such yet....

if it helps Grey ? i do have those all on PDF burned on CD.

I but confess ! it will take me a while till i do find it....it is somehere in mine mess of cartons stored....

( i did this already several years ago....i think it was the time when i sold you mine original copie´s...? )

had to look.....

do you have a printing shop nears to you?

you could easily let reprint them this way....

Christian

• Like 1

These books are so esoteric, that it is uncertain whether they were stolen.  What seems more likely is that the box split, the books fell out, and a postal worker not interested in reporting it just sent the box along.  Was there any damage to the box that had been repaired, or does the box indicate that it was opened naturally and resealed in the typical way?  

What would make theft more likely is if there was a reason to believe they were valuable. Was there a high price and insurance on the labeling that would make the contents of interest to postal workers or was it sent cheaply using the book rate?  If there was a high stated value, that might trigger interest in a thief, even if they knew nothing about sword books.  

I'm sorry to hear this story, for both you and the buyer.

The box was undamaged (I always pack carefully, especially on something this valuable; this box wouldn't split) and this was sent by media rate post without insurance or any other indication of value on the label.  It is a head scratcher; I also find it hard to believe anyone would go out of his way to steal this.  Perhaps he opened the box and when he saw it was nothing he would want he dumped the contents.  Theft is the only explanation that works for me.

Grey

What seems strange, Grey, is that the box was resealed & forwarded onward. Why would anyone have done that? If the contents were stolen, why would the thief take a chance that his fingerprints could be found? Tossing the box would have been so much safer, that it makes me wonder what really happened.

Somethings definitely amiss! 

My wife was employed with the USPS for 35 years and trust me, your customers local carrier will "absolutely" remember whether he or she delivered a light package or one weighing 22 + lbs.

Unopened, undamaged, Hmmmmm....

I agree with the comment about using minimum insurance.  The PO, or whoever is delivering, then has some skin in the game and are more likely to investigate thoroughly.   Shipping swords to europe, it is often best to declare and insure for around $500 - not enough to encourage theft, but enough to trigger better care in handling.   

I inquired further with my wife as to how something like this could possibly happen.

Your book site clearly states the buyer is responsible for the cost of shipping and insurance.

If the buyer elected to take a chance (which you mentioned they purchased no insurance) then the risk is theirs... Period.

No matter how well you package an item, there is always a risk of damage in shipping.

Again, from what I was told, if a package is damaged in transport, and the contents are lost or unrecoverable, the original package can be resealed with sticker or ink stamp indicating item was damaged during shipment and sent on to the recipient. The buyer has no recourse with the PO due to no insurance. Therefore, they (may) simply claim the box was empty and go to the seller requesting refund or replacement. 

Oddly, I'm also told, there is no official record the PO keeps of damaged packages as to when or where the damage took place and ink stamps or stickers were applied.

The local  (buyers end)  mail carrier or PO may recall the specific package and remember if a damage notification was applied.

Postal inspectors may need to get involved in order to sort things out. In the mean time, I would be hesitant to offer refund or replacement until thorough investigation....

Good luck,

Dave, it was my decision not to purchase insurance, not my customer's.  My customer has been reimbursed; I get to eat this one.  Unless you tell me you don't want insurance you are covered when you do business with me.

Again, the box wasn't damaged.  Someone opened it and removed the contents.

Since this thread is staying active, here is a picture of the 59 volumes.

Thanks guys,  Grey

post-20-0-54337200-1547347860_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..