Not Sure If The Hada Is Etched On?

lonely panet

Not sure whether the true hada has been "enhanced" by acid dipping or a blank bar has had the hada etched on. If it was a traditionally made blade whatever treatment it has had is likely to have done irreparable damage.

I  think describing it as Gassan Ayasugi is also imaginative. Although older Gassan work is less regular and symmetrical than the work of Sadakazu and Sadakatsu in the Showa period and it did include some mokume within the Ayasugi structure, I have never seen anything like this described as Gassan (actually I don't remember seeing anything like this at all)

LOL!

a nice suitable chicken and steak cutter for my kitchen....maybe????

i still do but prefer to rely on mine good old Solingen knives for this....

India-Japanese-Chinese-modern Bladesmith.....sorrowly not antique....

but? maybe???

a!

new group! ( where are you Mr. Hawley ? ;-) )

LOL!

Christian

A wonderful fake blade. The hada is perfect enhanced by acid. Without  joking, this result is not the result of the work with stones. Turn the blade in the light, and most  probably  you will see a brownisch shimmer on it. A sign  of acidwash.

Use  Your Nose. Smell the blade ! ( After cleaning )  Acid blades does  often have a "special" smell.This works  also well on the nakago.

By the way, this is not an ayasugi hada.

Greetings

Stefan

It's definitely Nihonto. I've seen this before on a Tanto many years ago and another sword posted here on the board quite some time ago. In the past it was suggested that it was probably poor large slag welding by the smith. It could also be an acid bath gone wrong. Regardless, it's real.

There is slight  chance that it is real. 35 Years  ago  i owned a similar Tanto, inscribed "Masamune". At  That  time the chance  of a  chinese , by  example forgery, was not so big, but nowadays ?

I have seen to many fake blades in ths style during the last years.

This tanto I did  send  for polishing to Japan , as it returned, wow, how the hada has changed. the Hamon was gone..........Well, a beginners luck,

Therefore  I am  pretty sure that something is wrong with this blade..

Stefan

Of course, it is a question of taste, and it is quite unusual compared to most other blades, but I think it is a genuine blade, not GENDAI, but a form of AYASUGI HADA, no acid involved. It seems to be an intentionally enhanced HADA, caused by the composition of the steels in the KAWAGANE.

It is for sale by one of the regular low end Japanese dealers on eBay.
Saw the debate on FB, and I am fairly convinced it is a low end but real Japanese blade, and i think it had the full works...acid and likely even more ferric chloride. I also think this is some form of ayasugi. Maybe not what we usually see....because we don't see all the little circles and folds usually. But the definition of ayasugi is those circles hammered into the steel to give the "whorls"
Maybe I'm wrong. It certainly isn't a great sword. But I can easily see this being a badly mistreated Gassan school blade, or someone trying to emulate it at some point.
Perhaps even burnt and then etched..whatever.

• Like 2

I think is yakumo-hada (八雲肌) but it polishing with acid...: A very peculiar jihada that is created by a combination of steels with different carbon content, an approach that results in thick and standing-out chikei-like structures. This kind of hada is mostly seen on blades by Mito Rekkô (烈公) and is not very common.

Please you can see the photos in this topic: http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/19897-nariaki-blade/
and in the Kantei series by Markus Sesko: https://markussesko.com/2015/05/13/kantei-2-jigane-jihada-2/

Hi all,

what do you think?

Sword by Gassan:

【刀】大阪住人月山貞一作(花押)
時代 長さ(cm) 反り 重ね 証書 付属
明治 69.1 1.4 0.81 当店の保証 優品 白鞘拵え

帝室技芸員月山貞一家伝の綾杉肌を交えた相伝備前の傑作です。月山貞一は明治39年4月に帝室技芸員に任ぜられ、本刀は帝室技芸員に任ぜられた早々の作品で記念碑的名作です。地金は小板目肌良く詰み家伝の綾杉肌を交え互の目丁子刃に砂流しを交え金筋が現れ素晴らしく良く働いています。大礼服用太刀拵の太刀として製作された名品です。月山貞一の名作をお楽しみください。

post-2838-0-94370400-1486506184_thumb.jpg

post-2838-0-60556500-1486506191_thumb.jpg

post-2838-0-98011600-1486506198_thumb.jpg

post-2838-0-04494600-1486506205_thumb.jpg

post-2838-0-61241400-1486506211_thumb.jpg

post-2838-0-39271600-1486506218_thumb.jpg

post-2838-0-21494900-1486506226_thumb.jpg

post-2838-0-70807400-1486506233_thumb.jpg

From: http://blog.goo.ne.jp/budojapan/e/0c6758a497fae5cafcc3bd33139f8605

------------------------------------------------

【刀】 堺源昭忠作
時代 長さ(cm) 反り 重ね 証書 付属
現代 68.8 1.9 0.75 当店の保証 標準品 拵え
越中則重の松皮肌を写し鍛えた快心作。素晴らしく良くできています。

post-2838-0-31738900-1486506523_thumb.jpg
post-2838-0-34393600-1486506534_thumb.jpg
post-2838-0-55664600-1486506542_thumb.jpg
post-2838-0-65791500-1486506549_thumb.jpg
post-2838-0-23927100-1486506559_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Not sure whether the true hada has been "enhanced" by acid dipping or a blank bar has had the hada etched on. If it was a traditionally made blade whatever treatment it has had is likely to have done irreparable damage.

I  think describing it as Gassan Ayasugi is also imaginative. Although older Gassan work is less regular and symmetrical than the work of Sadakazu and Sadakatsu in the Showa period and it did include some mokume within the Ayasugi structure, I have never seen anything like this described as Gassan (actually I don't remember seeing anything like this at all)

Yes right!

This is an example of the common Ayasugi hada by Sadakazu and Sakatsu gassaku: http://www.tokka.biz/sword/sadakazu2.html

In my previous answer an example of "ayasugi-mokume" by Sadakazu, I think without acid.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..