Bonhams Auction New York: Arts of the Samurai (08-10-2013)

How safe is it buying online from an auction like this?. Ive always been interested, not just for nihonto but other items aswell, just never got round to it. I notice the condition of the blades is not advertised and that you need to request a report, how accurate are these reports?. I can see how folk may be tempted by some of the lower end priced items.

Alex

How safe is it buying online from an auction like this?. Ive always been interested, not just for nihonto but other items aswell, just never got round to it. I notice the condition of the blades is not advertised and that you need to request a report, how accurate are these reports?. I can see how folk may be tempted by some of the lower end priced items.

Your better off viewing them in person, they generally don't mention kizu in the reports. I bought one they told me had no problems and it had a nasty fukure.

Best viewed in person, but Bonhams has upped the photography to a very high level.

Estimates are just estimates. There was a Juyo Shikkake katana last year that was estimated 30-40k.

One of the most beautiful I'd ever seen. I was there all 3 days of the viewing and kept going back to it, back and back....

But didn't have $40k liquid, which I thought rich even for a nice one.

Auction was on a weekend, so I decided to go. THey started the bidding on the Shikkake at 15k? Holy Crap. Really?

Bidding can go fast, and I expected it to blur up to 30k. My paddle is under my jacket on the chair next to me.

No.... in the next 15 to 20 seconds.... it went for $22.5K.

I was so friggin stunned that my brain went cold for a minute and I couldn't believe I'd just missed such a stellar Juyo for what I would expect to pay $35k to $39k for in Japan.

Really....stunned in my chair feeling like I'd just dropped the ball in game 7 of the World Series.

Of course, then a Juyo Naotsuna went off for 3 times what I would have paid for it.....

There were some other bargains in there too.... but that Shikkake will haunt me for a while. I've got a few busy weeks ahead, but am trying to get up to NYC for the previews. Even if none of the swords interest, it is the most armor I've seen in a while and I recognize a few from museum exhibits.

Hello:

For those interested in the armor at the Bonham sale this is to let you know that Andy Mancabelli, who might be serving as their armor man, I am not sure, will be talking on Sunday the 6th about (the armor?) at what I assume is the auction house. He is very well informed in that area and for those interested in the armor it might be helpful. Check with Bonham's.

Arnold F.

Got the print catalog too and see the Mancabelli lecture. Noted that several of the armor were formerly on display at the Fraiser Museum. Thought I recognized them. Looking forward to seeing them in person, if family life allows.

There are several items where the photography is wanting a bit. ie. Either only 1 photo, or item is upside down, or only the back of the item is shown. Would recommend the on-line catalog over the print one.

very interested in how the sale is going finally...

representative items and most of pretty good quality here,not that ofthen to be seen meanwhile i may say...

Good luck in the sale!(those members here i do know and did give for auction)

Jbw-what did happen to Andy and Boris?(just browsed and saw their´s side is locked down?)

really wonder as their´s material was always pretty much prime class least if not high end in interest for some guys like me interested in early pieces...do feel an bit sad to see that some objects have/had to ben "spread" to an auction house now....(?)

Christian

Hello,

I am a little intrigued by 2 daishô (1124 & 1142). For a true daishô I would have expected the papers to have been attributed to BOTH blades at the same time. But in both cases they have been attributed at different times (1124: 38 years apart; 1142: 13 years apart).

Would this be considered normal ?

Thanks.

Paul.

Oh(ouch)...(?)(puzzeled now!)-that boaring blades- you do finally mean Jean?

but not honestly,i do hopefully suspect now reading this, you do joke me out an Cassoulet here...(?!) ;)

;)(me again..big LOL :D )

Chriatian

Edit: I LOVE CASSOULET!-so no worry at all with me...together with an nice Bordeaux,,?...hmmmmh.... ;)

Concerning those blades -hmmmh,well,seems me unseen correct-such,no worry!

(I do joke here!)

Christian

We talk a lot about the importance of books and research on this forum,

I would like to point out that there is a tremendous library of books being auctioned here as well. The bulk of these were the personal library of John Yumoto, collected over 50 years study. There are some awesome books here with nearly every important work represented.

Will be interesting to see if the book buyers come out...

-t

I agree Dave but I can also see that they do not want to have a bunch of books bought in, there are maybe several ways they could have split these up; by subject, by author, by era. If youre not careful making up the lots you get stuck with a lot of modern books and not so rare stuff. Also it would take a whole weekend to auction them all in lots of four or five. Since this was the private library of a gentlemen, I think they are hoping some other gentlemen will want to keep it whole for himself.

I note that the many reference works on Chinese art that were in this library are not on offer - I suppose we can expect to see those in some future auction...

-t

Jbw-what did happen to Andy and Boris?(just browsed and saw their´s side is locked down?)

really wonder as their´s material was always pretty much prime class least if not high end in interest for some guys like me interested in early pieces...do feel an bit sad to see that some objects have/had to ben "spread" to an auction house now....(?)

Christian

Hi Christian,

This tsuba was saved from the Bonharns auction next week and is now in my collection. :) I picked it up on a trade at the Baltimore show. It was listed on the Yamabushi Antiques website by Andy and Boris for a very long time.

post-1126-14196881596109_thumb.jpg

I don't think Andy and Boris ever showed a view of the rim on their website. It has some wonderful glandular tekkotsu on the rim. :D

post-1126-14196881602224_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..