Bonhams Auction New York: Arts of the Samurai (08-10-2013)

I went to the preview at Bonham's yesterday so I can comment on several of the issues in this thread. Note that these statements represent my opinions; the opinions of others may differ.

Both daishos have modern made mounts with original fittings, this accounts for the difference in the dates on the papers and, as has been pointed out, it is certainly possible to submit blades from a daisho at different times. The dai in the Nagamitsu daisho is spectacular; a 32 inch nagasa and shortened probably 6 inches. The daisho mounts on both sets are very nice. The sho in the shinkai daisho is also a great sword.

The Naoe shizu hamon is very narrow, right on the ha in the kissaki and actually goes off the blade in the middle of the cutting edge at the lowest point in the valley of one of the gunome.

The Masazane is also a great sword, so rare to see an ubu sword of this age.

Although not mentioned in the thread there is a lot of 5 "guntos" one of which is as Chinese fake!!

There is also as "tanto" lot which consists of a group of the

postwar souvenir blades made for the tourist trade.

The Katsuhira tanto - an outstanding masterpiece - will fetch a high result.

That very same piece hammered for $46,000.00 at Bonham's earlier this year in February iirc, and was set at the same estimate then as it appears again now. Curious that it's back so soon.

Although not mentioned in the thread there is a lot of 5 "guntos" one of which is as Chinese fake!!

There is also as "tanto" lot which consists of a group of the

postwar souvenir blades made for the tourist trade.

Hi Everyone,

Dale G. makes a good observation. I have notice more and more of this type of thing at auctions houses outside of eBay where it is typical. Buyer beware and always read, see, and learn before you bid and buy.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..