American polisher... Eric Roush

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to say it isn't our job to interfer with auctions or sellers...but then I took a look at the auction anyways.

:shock:

Shinshinto he says? And then "polishes" the blade to look like that? With coarse and rough hada..exactly the opposite of Shinshinto hada.

And looks like he has completely given up on finer stones in favour of ferric chloride. :steamed:

I'm not even going to get started on his evaluation (polisher, not the seller...who seems to be genuinely fooled by the "restoration")

Brian

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi Folks,

Just some bad news (for people who wait for their blades) for the Eric Roush customers.....

To keep a long story short - Eric Roush had a blade that belonged to me for over 2 years and 10 months - he ignored my e-mails and my attempts to contact him. I, praise God, was contacted by a guy whom Eric offered my sword for sale.....the gentleman found out (very long and amazing story) that the sword was mine and returned it to me.....as I have been told by Eric's neighbour - he has left his dwelling place and has (with his female partner) disappeared....owing money to heaps of people etc....

Bad news because of the fact that I had it confirmed that he wanted to sell my sword and common sense tells me he would/will attempt that same scam with others - in my humble opinion not only unreliable but a criminal....feel sorry for everybody who is "still waiting for his/her nihonto".....

"be not deceived whatsoever men sow they will reap!"

Jock

It's a really bad situation and there are no many options.

IMHO, the best way seems to, like Brian said, try to open a case, get in touch with people in administrations, people of trust with relations to know the wife name, to find his adress and release it.

Meanwhile, everybody should search his sword on online auction, contact to bid and try to find where this guy is hidding.

(Then do whatever miles needed to meet him.)

Relations and spreading the word is, to my opinion, the way to go.

(Just trying to help)

I think for all involved, that a descriptive list of the sword and it's identifiable fittings; should find a permanent position by Brian on this site; to both know what all is missing; as well as to alert buyers in the future of these items; so as not to buy them; but to alert the original owner of their location, with a route to reacquire their possessions.

Good eye Joe! Another member thought it was him as well.

Horrible tsukamaki and acid polish.

I've been harassing him for a year + on behalf of someone who doesn't live in tje states.

I have phone and Facebook info and he responded with another fake eta that has since passed..

:steamed:

Good eye Joe! Another member thought it was him as well.

Horrible tsukamaki and acid polish.

I've been harassing him for a year + on behalf of someone who doesn't live in tje states.

I have phone and Facebook info and he responded with another fake eta that has since passed..

:steamed:

Yep..Chris (cuttingedge59) also thought that might be him, but without proof I was hesitant to post it

Do we have other clues that this is him?

If eBay is to lock this account, someone will need to identify a stolen sword and report it to them.

Brian

Hi Brian,

I understand why you might be wary of posting this but in fairness the guy has my property and money and is not being true to his word. Being somewhat afar from the usa any option that might result in an end to this issue I will persue . Several other members who have seen this listing agree that it is him and looking at the feed back on previous sales , all are indicitive of his trades. Also the glass furnace he sold (feedback ) I personally know he was trying to sell on his other e-bay user id.

Already someone has sugguested this listing is my property . However althought the tsuba is VERY similar the mounts and Mei are not the same, nor is the saya .So with relief I can say not mine.

I wish to take this opportunity to acknowledge Matts help with this , as without his efforts I would be at a loss as to how to deal with this situation. :bowdown: :clap:

Chris

Hello:

I believe that Everett Thomas's tale of woe, an unfortunate one indeed, has its beginning in the first sentence in Everett's first post: "... his fee paid up front like those in Japan..." The field of collecting we write about and the relationships between buyers and sellers is usually characterized by an extraordinary working trust between the two, whether in dealing with goods or services, it is fully reciprocal and rarely does it come unhinged.

I am sure many on this list can testify to having polishing and other things done to their swords without any request for payment prior to the job being done, sometimes not until the object arrives back at their door. The person doing the work is, after all, holding collateral, and what more need be asked for? It is a pretty good rule of thumb that if the person you are dealing with is distrusting of you before the fact, perhaps that too should be reciprocal.

Arnold F.

Yep..Chris (cuttingedge59) also thought that might be him, but without proof I was hesitant to post it

Do we have other clues that this is him?

If eBay is to lock this account, someone will need to identify a stolen sword and report it to them.

Brian

When he first started on eBay, he said that he had been doing business under "his wife's" account - ofmydesign - and that is why he had no feedback or sales.

Arnold is correct- in my experience with many craftsman in Japan, the work is never paid for until the work is complete and returned. Ordering a blade is different- I have usually paid a deposit of half upfront with the remainder when the blade is finished.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..