Identifying inherited sword

Hi all,

New to the forum, with a Q regarding my Grandfathers sword I have inherited.

My Grandfather served in Sumatra in 1946, where he oversaw some of the disarming of the Japanese post War. A Japanese Major he worked with presented him with this sword, which I think is a Type 98 army sabre (thanks google).

Just hoping someone might be able to confirm it? I'm not entirely sure what we want to do with it; it is quite a cool heirloom that I wouldn't part with quickly, but an indication of value would also be appreciated.

20240104_112631.thumb.jpg.34ba4d336567b71150ce5d09d8093013.jpg

20240104_111811.jpg

• Like 1

Hi James, welcome to the forum. You have a interesting looking Type 98 Shin Gunto there, with good quality mounts. The story is a nice touch, was there any further documentation from your grandfather about it? If you follow the video below and carefully remove the small wooden pin in the handle, we can tell you more about the sword.

Value will depend on who made the blade and any documentation to go along with it. You would be wise to hold onto it as a family heirloom.

• Like 3

You need to show the nakago and to the lesser extent the boshi. It may be signed; most people would reserve their opinions since they are likely to look stupid when the signature is uncovered.

So far however there appears to be a pronounced koshi-zori combined with a periodic relatively wide and uniform hamon which is formed by groups of two. This hints towards late Muromachi Bizen from 1520-1550 or so, possibly Sukesada.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Rivkin said:

It may be signed; most people would reserve their opinions since they are likely to look stupid when the signature is uncovered.

:laughabove:  Hey Kirill, Your comment cracked me up. Can't say I know anyone who enjoys looking stupid. :dunno:

I agree with your thoughts on sugata, yet I also think it prudent to reserve judgement or opinion until more information is revealed.

Hard to do much more than speculate when judging from one poor photo.

Best,

Ed

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Rivkin said:

So far however there appears to be a pronounced koshi-zori combined with a periodic relatively wide and uniform hamon which is formed by groups of two. This hints towards late Muromachi Bizen from 1520-1550 or so, possibly Sukesada.

I thought that too. Along with the relatively small sakihaba, I'd guess it's a suriage koto blade - not sure beyond that yet.

Hi all,

Wow - thanks so much for the responses and especially the video 'how to' take apart the sword; now achieved!

Please see attached the picture with what appears to be a signature? 

20240107_183649.jpg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rivkin said:

And now I feel really stupid :)

Don't feel too bad - even with the showa stamp, the sori still looks massively pronounced in the first picture.

Doesn't look normal to me. Is it bent, or just perspective?

James and thanks Moriyama san.  Here is a bit more on him.  YOSHICHIKA (義近), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989), Gifu – “Yoshichika” (義近), real name Hatakeyama Kōichi (畠山弘一), he was a Seki-based guntō smith.  He was born Taisho 8 (1919) August 21, and registered as a Seki tosho in Showa 15 (1940) June 25 at age 20.  He was living at Seki Nagasumi-cho. 

• Like 1

James,

The small stamp, Showa stamp, is seen on blades from 1935 - 1942, with the massive majority of them in 1940-41.  Just to give you an idea of it's age.  They tend to be above average quality, and 1 or 2 have even been papered by Shinsa.

Maybe you could give us a couple close-ups of the blade showing the hamon (temper line)?

• Like 1

On 1/7/2024 at 3:09 PM, Rivkin said:

And now I feel really stupid :)

Same here with the pictures given at the time, it happens. I had many guessing back older as well, with impromptu kantei, was a RJT smith. In any event cool inheritance and a piece of history you have.

• Thanks 1

Good shots, James.  Just an FYI - be sure to oil and clean that blade, and don't touch the steel with your bare fingers.  Those prints, left long-term, will become permanent in the blade.

For the hamon - gorgeous, just like I expected.  The nihonto experts change correct me if wrong, but I think I see the tell-tale signs of oil temptering, so a quality showato, not nihonto.