OMG, i think tangs been chromed!!!!!

Purchased a large collection of mainly European swords but had a few Japanese. Heres one he purchase 40 years ago showing how lowly WW2 military swords were thought of back then that they were purchase for next to nothing and beople jazzed them up. The blades been buffed to hell and sadly you can still see remnants of a very pretty hamon, the tang i thought was just buffed badly aswell but i think its actually chromed????!! Army saya in in a bronze metallic shade i remember my mum using on here nails back in the 70s

20230616_120139.jpg

20230616_120243.jpg

• Confused 1

I agree with David ...not chromed.  I really think someone has done a mechanical cleaning/ massive buffing job on it.  Look at the habaki.

Saya looks a funny shade?

PS...if you want to 'age' it quickly Phil, send it over to me and I will leave it with a couple of my children....it will be 80 years within weeks ;-)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, mdiddy said:

In my experience, when chrome was applied the whole thing got chromed - blade, nakago, everything. Agree with the thoughts above, the nakago on this one has just been assertively cleaned.

Assertively clean steel as much as you want but as mentioned its not been touched for 40 years and steel doesnt stay that bright after 40 years, not sealant on surface.

The steel looks like "anti-rust steel" but I am not sure that level of pitting could occur on such a blade if it were made of that material. Honestly, it just looks like someone ground the tang down with a buffing wheel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/17/2023 at 4:04 PM, John C said:

Just a question...Could a high chromium content in the steel cause that effect if polished?

John C.

Being a mechanic many years practically any piece of steel cleaned with a wirebrush mounted on a grinder would produce the same appearance.the other clue is the details of the filemarks are softened and less course

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..