Where to buy higher end nihonto? $10K + USD?

Winchester

There is a links page at the top - where you will find lots of good sources for swords - I suppose if you've "just gotta have one" buy the first thing you see that is polished and papered. (That way you may get most of your money back if you decide to sell)

But as Barry has suggested there is real pleasure in getting to know the many artists, eras and expressions of nihonto. A single sword collection with a blade you just love is all any man needs. Getting there and recognizing "the one" takes an investment in time but it will be time well spent in my opinion...

-tch

• Like 3

10-20k is what Darcy used to call "the danger zone"... I would say its just a very unpopular price range. Its pre-Muromachi TH to a decent name. Its too cheap for the first class shinto name or any decent Juyo, too expensive for most regular blades. 

You can look into a dozen or so of US dealers in links, they tend to offer inspection period/moneyback.

• Like 4

As many have said Brian..  

Go to "Dealer Sites "on this forum  !

Many of them , have well priced/excellent blades !

It is a "Buyer's Market  " not a Sellers Market @ the moment  !

Please also check out Nihonto Australia/Samurai Gallery Australia   , as John has some Great Certified Blades  available for sale  !

Cheers  , AlanK 

• Like 2

On 7/4/2022 at 10:32 AM, Baba Yaga said:

The Yen is down to the U.S. dollar by 25%. Japan never really rebounded from the last recession. 

Add on the supply issues / energy and check on prices in Oct and Nov. 

so you're saying it'll be cheaper come oct/nov?

On 7/6/2022 at 2:43 AM, Spunjer said:

so you're saying it'll be cheaper come oct/nov?

Yes, but.... The reasons aren't that simple and not good. The very high end will drop a little while middle and low will drop like a rock. If it doesn't, I still will keep my powder dry until it does. 

• Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..