ChrisW

Hey guys!

Been a while since I posted any new finds of mine, I have quite a few that are sitting on my back-catalogue of things to post! I will get to them all eventually...

Anyways, today's item that I am putting out there for opinions and discussion is my most recent acquisition. I picked it up from a certain auction site from a seller who was selling a memento of his father's time in the service. His father was in the USAAF (airforce) and was a crew member aboard a B25 and he picked this thing up sometime during the war. Upon return, he did not talk about his time in the service nor did he specifically mention where/when he obtained this blade. It is in fairly solid shape and besides the mekugi-pin and one of the tassels on the portopee is entirely intact. What drew me to this blade is its rather interesting hamon style which is reminiscent of older swords and the pierced tsuba (indicative of earlier war models). This blade however appears to be very much WWII due to the lack of oxidation on the nakago.

Its measurements are: Overall length 36 3/4". Nagasa is 27".

My asks are as follows:

What smith made this blade?

Is this a gendaito or showato? I couldn't find any seki or other stamping upon it, just the two kanji. The nagako is also SUPER bright in the seller's photos, I will try to get a true-color picture of it in daylight.

What style is this blade's hamon trying to imitate?

I picked this up for $600. I wonder how well I did?

Thanks guys!

P.S. The photos in blue are the sellers, the crappy ones are mine. :rotfl:

post-4665-0-20825800-1582768522_thumb.jpg

post-4665-0-98338900-1582768522_thumb.jpg

post-4665-0-71641300-1582768523_thumb.jpg

post-4665-0-51051500-1582768524_thumb.jpg

post-4665-0-25732500-1582768525_thumb.jpg

post-4665-0-96983500-1582768525_thumb.jpg

post-4665-0-71308700-1582768526_thumb.jpg

post-4665-0-45554900-1582768527_thumb.jpg

post-4665-0-55408000-1582768530_thumb.jpg

post-4665-0-89831700-1582768538_thumb.jpg

post-4665-0-01620200-1582768540_thumb.jpg

post-4665-0-06043200-1582768541_thumb.jpg

post-4665-0-09945100-1582768542_thumb.jpg

post-4665-0-07878700-1582768543_thumb.jpg

post-4665-0-08182600-1582768544_thumb.jpg

The kanji Bruce gives here is for Watanabe Manjiro Kanenaga. He was head of a forging enterprise in Seki during the war and had 18 pupils.

Another Kanenaga using these kanji is Taro Kanenaga. (Kawamura Eijiro). He had a son working in Seki also who signed Nara Taro Kanenaga (Hiroshi).

The mei looks cut by a Na-kiri-shi so may be showato although the form and construction looks good,

What I mean is...you need to type in the name and do some research on WWII period Kanenaga smiths/styles/signatures and see which one it is and whether it is gendaito.

Hope this helps,

Saw it on Ebay,the final price is good. :)

Hey guys!

Been a while since I posted any new finds of mine, I have quite a few that are sitting on my back-catalogue of things to post! I will get to them all eventually...

Anyways, today's item that I am putting out there for opinions and discussion is my most recent acquisition. I picked it up from a certain auction site from a seller who was selling a memento of his father's time in the service. His father was in the USAAF (airforce) and was a crew member aboard a B25 and he picked this thing up sometime during the war. Upon return, he did not talk about his time in the service nor did he specifically mention where/when he obtained this blade. It is in fairly solid shape and besides the mekugi-pin and one of the tassels on the portopee is entirely intact. What drew me to this blade is its rather interesting hamon style which is reminiscent of older swords and the pierced tsuba (indicative of earlier war models). This blade however appears to be very much WWII due to the lack of oxidation on the nakago.

Its measurements are: Overall length 36 3/4". Nagasa is 27".

My asks are as follows:

What smith made this blade?

Is this a gendaito or showato? I couldn't find any seki or other stamping upon it, just the two kanji. The nagako is also SUPER bright in the seller's photos, I will try to get a true-color picture of it in daylight.

What style is this blade's hamon trying to imitate?

I picked this up for $600. I wonder how well I did?

Thanks guys!

P.S. The photos in blue are the sellers, the crappy ones are mine. :rotfl:

Hamfish,

Where I might get a copy of John Slough's book for a reasonable price? I'm afraid I do not have one. Also, you're killing me with the 'might have a good surprise' line!

Many thanks!

Edit: Found them, the price isn't too bad, but I'll have to save, I blew what little extra funds I had on this blade.

Edit 2: Eh... finding one actually for sale is harder than I anticipated... makes sense for such a useful book.

• Like 1

Hamfish,

Where I might get a copy of John Slough's book for a reasonable price? I'm afraid I do not have one. Also, you're killing me with the 'might have a good surprise' line!

Many thanks!

Edit: Found them, the price isn't too bad, but I'll have to save, I blew what little extra funds I had on this blade.

Edit 2: Eh... finding one actually for sale is harder than I anticipated... makes sense for such a useful book.

yeah, I’m on the look out for that book too. It’s been almost a year and haven’t found one for sale. Correction! I found one once, but the price was outrageous!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..