Albrecht Von Roretz Collection

BIG

I see no proof for any of that smith. I think for a museum is it nice to have a piece which is named to masamune, muramasa or others. Bad polish condition with tsuka. These could be anything.

What we talking about? A museum with a piece that could be more worth than all other pieces inside? And no one cares?

Sollingen Museum is a red towel for me after all that replica talk with S. Roth.

Leaving the science path is a death for the reputation of a museum.

Hi Ken.,

The Masamune Muramasa legendry rivalry story may come from the Wikipedia entry under Masamune:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masamune

The source for that may be an article about the legendary rivalry between Masamune and his mad, bad and dangerous to know student Muramasa in a late 1970's issue of Black Belt Magazine, when its ethos changed from the glory days of the 1960's, when it was still run by Uyehara san.

Those pesky editors of Wiki..... ;-)  :dunno:

I think that Masamune and Muramasa do have a kind of rivalry.   At least now - one for "most famous sword maker".  I notice that the mei of Muramasa is upside down in that document (not to mention that his name is misspelled).  This document was not prepared by Markus, I assume!  

• Like 1

Rayhan i don't think that the curators in mixed local museums are well trained in handling and preserving Nihonto.  They all are studied history or something else. They know much about timelines but when you look on the collection mostly seen are european swords and these are all different in handling to Japanese edged weapons. The swords blade patination is there a sign of age. This is what i see often in sword forums when they have meetings with european swords.

I'm not involved in any part of that collection/publications. However, I was once invited by the Mayor of Steyr to view and possibly assess the Japanese blades in the Petermandl'sche Messersammlung but that was exactly right before I moved to the US so it never worked out, unfortunately. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..