Single Russet Iron Kote With Family Mon

Higo-san

Dear all,

this is my last sale before Christmas: a very beautiful russet iron kote with a Family mon. My guess is that this is a work done by a Kaga armorer due to the nicely done little mon. This is a high-grade piece that came from the Ott Collection.

I have also attached a pictures that gives you an impression of how a single kote can be displayed (the kote in the frame is not part of this offer).

Length: 65 cm

Asking Price: EUR 300.00 (including PayPal) plus shipping

Best,

Chris

post-2242-0-65218100-1513438330_thumb.jpg

post-2242-0-08691800-1513438417_thumb.jpg

post-2242-0-67227800-1513438464_thumb.jpg

post-2242-0-29850200-1513438500_thumb.jpg

post-2242-0-06731900-1513438524_thumb.jpg

post-2242-0-89098400-1513438794_thumb.jpg

As this is not in my collecting field but feft it was too nice not to own it

I was drawn to the metal plates and who doesn't like chain mail design?

I would appreciate it if any one can add any more information and this can be PM'ed if you wish

It will help me better appreciate the kote

Good morning Grev.,

I think that the central Kamon on the Back of the hand and at top of shoulder in the rectangular plate is known as Sagari Fujini Ichinoji.

(Because the "Ichi" character between the leaves of the Wisteria is slightly bowed).

If it were absolutely straight then it could be  Shibata Fuji

n.b. Sometimes you will see Fuji and Huji described in English translations for Wisteria, but I think it is the same.

Ahhh, Grev, very well picked.  An absolutely fantastic piece.  Congratulations.  Like others, I salivated at the excellence of the iron work and thought "only E300?!  Surely I can afford that!"  So my day-dreaming came to an end when I saw SOLD.  Not surprising.  As Grev said, you need to be quick!!

BaZZa.

EDIT:  Excellent photos too, leaving nothing unclear.  The photos are a joy to see as well.

Obviously we have collectors of armour so any idea of age and style?

At this point, the thread should be moved elsewhere- possibly to Katchu section?

*Before it moves*, I must say this was a nice piece. Good snag by Grev.

Wife will probably kill me if I start collecting armor, but the Kaga workmanship was fine and beautiful to see.

Definitely worth saving down an image or two.

Grev,

that is the crux with this period. It was quite peaceful and lasted a long time. Almost all types of armor were made during these decades. From "modern" tosei-gusoku up to "old fashioned" armor, like o-yoroi, haramaki, do-maru (wistful remembering the glorious old times, kinda historicism, if you like....) That also applies to the qualities. You will find simple and cheap ashigaru grade armor next to priceless Daimyo sets. The whole bandwidth of blacksmithing, lacquer art, etc....etc....

Nowadays, the vast majority of items on the market are dating back to this period!

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..