Alun Jones

Very sad. If nothing else, he was extremely passionate about Japanese swords and seemed to do extensive travel around Japan to locate pieces for his collection. He dropped out contact around January of this year when was on a sword buying trip and had apparently just located and purchased an ubu Ko-Bizen Tomonari tachi (I believe from Sokendo). No further communication/postings after that point...

I didn't know this man. But from what I've read.. He was in love with the sword.. as we all are. The spirit of the samurai coursed through his veins. He must have felt that something had happened in his life, in his soul, that was so painful that he wanted to die.... but with honour. As sad as this is... I feel there is a bit of beauty in it as well. I hope my words do not seem disrespectful to anyone here.. I just feel like as much as I don't understand why he did it, I can at least understand how he chose to do it. I can understand why the samurai held this ritual in such a high belief and so deeply embedded into their spirituality. All that anyone can hope for now is that maybe one day.. his loved ones can understand this the way he did. May this man rest in peace.

• Like 1

As I said on facebook, I was shocked and deeply saddened to hear this, and my condolences go out to those who knew him personally.

Josh, respectfully I cannot say that I wholly share your perspective on the matter – on certain points I would disagree strongly. But I also do not want to distract from what is important now, which is to support his mourners, and to honor those aspects of Alun's life which bettered the world. So I'll just leave it at that, and hope that anyone else who is so troubled manages to find or be provided the right help in their time of need.

• Like 6

If a man chooses to leave this life on his own terms, who are we to second guess his choice? As difficult to understand as it may be, he must have had his reasons to take such a committed action. Condolences to the family and friends.

• Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..