Where to start?

snort

A few months ago at a swap meet I saw a Katana for sale. I'm always on the lookout for low priced antiques to add to my collection and I always wanted a "samurai sword" so we haggled a bit I I bought it from him. He told me that he had inherited it from his grandfather who brought it home after WWII. That was his story, anyhow.

After researching around on the interwebs I discovered there was a lot more to these things than I realized. And that cheap copies from China abound — did I just buy a costly reproduction? Or is it the real deal?

I removed the Tsuka to see if it was signed and found these markings. I copied them as well as I could because I didn't want to clean off any of the scale & rust until I knew more about cleaning — they don't show up clearly in a photo at all.

If possible, could someone help me identify exactly what I have here?

I want to know what this is, it is for my own knowledge, I am a collector, I don't sell my stuff, I'll let the wife do that when I'm gone.

TIA

george

post-5155-0-33881000-1573154823_thumb.jpg

post-5155-0-10290300-1573154839_thumb.jpg

post-5155-0-62541900-1573154854_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Good decision to avoid removing rust on your own. That should only be handled by a professional, otherwise you may devalue/ruin your sword. Here is a primer on care and maintenance.

http://www.nbthk-ab.org/swordcare.pdf

I copied them as well as I could because I didn't want to clean off any of the scale & rust until I knew more about cleaning.

• Like 3

This photo posting stuff sucks!!!!!

WHY doesn't the option to 'attach files' show up until I select "other options?

Then what you've just spent fifteen minutes composing just disappears

and when return all you have is the photos and no text

$100 really. Thats a bargin with hagire or not well done.  :thumbsup:

No, that was not the price, sir, I got the guy to reduce it by $100.

If you want to know what I paid for it I can PM you but I'm not going to post it here.

Just me — I guess.

george

That 'scratch' down on the Hasaki is not a scratch. It is a divot.

Completely thru the blade, about the diameter of a pencil lead.

Looks like someone used it to bridge across 220 volts — it's clean, like it was put there on propose.

george

George,

welcome to the NMB!

In your first post you wrote .... 'I always wanted a "samurai sword"... I am sure you know that this is probably a good quality sword from WWII (not looking at the damages), but not from the SAMURAI era.

Restoring this might cost a little fortune but may result in a very nice blade. Congratulations!

Yes, sir, I respect your explanation but, ya see, I'm just one of them 'citizens' out there that is not a member of this worthy group.

Out here in Podunk they call 'em all SAMURAI swords (I think ya can thank hollyweird for that). If I were to refer to this blade as a Koshirae (is that the correct name for what I have?) my peers would be quick to tell me I was wrong, that it was a samurai sword and do their best to make me feel the fool. <grin>

Anyhow, I'm glad I dropped by to pay ya'll a visit. I have learned a bunch since I registered (despite the agony of the registration itself).

Thank everyone who has volunteered their opinion and while I do recognize that they are opinions, I will regard it as good information. My main propose for coming here was to learn about my blade. I now know much more than I did yesterday and I'm sure there's a ton of stuff yet to learn, in matter of fact this could become another very expensive hobby. An I ain't goin there.

No, no, this ain't goodbye, I just want to add to my introduction I did a couple hours ago. I will for sure stick around for at least six months and see if I fit in anywhere here. As usual collectors come from ALL walks of life and the personalities in collector's forums are always — uhm, to say — interesting <grin>.

Tnx again,

george

Unh... isin't the Hasaki the bottom part near the end?

The, a, Kissaki is the center, right?

And it's about 10 cm down the edge from the point.

​About the diameter of a pencil lead and about five mm from Hasaki

george

George,

the KOSHIRAE is the complete mounting of a sword. The KISSAKI is the tip of a blade, and HA or HASAKI is the cutting edge. You will have to learn some vocabulary, it seems that WIKIPEDIA has something for you (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_Japanese_swords), but not all is correct. The hardened part of the edge is YAKIBA, not Yaiba. So you better drink from several different fountains...  

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..