Tsuba Mon

Ed

Ed,

as written in the "Mon"-book by Chappelear/Hawley You refer to about 7500 kamon were in existence and in this book only a smaller number are selected which represent the final form.
On Your Tsuba not the mentioned “final form” but a more naturalistic view of this plant is depicted. IMHO this hints to an early version of this kamon still without the graphic simplicity of later ones but with more artistic licence.

Researching one of my own Tsuba showing an unusual myoga-mon I found this in the depths of the internet:

post-919-0-66347800-1570093090_thumb.jpg

Probably an old shop-sign whith a slim variation of myoga. Although not Your gyoyo-kamon I’d like to share it to prove a larger variety in style.

Florian

• Like 4

I agree with Ed. At first I didn't think it was myōga, but now I think it must be a depiction of myōga (just not the one we typically see on kamon).

I don't know if its intending to be a kamon, or just a motif, but I don't think it could be anything else. 

Hi Ed,

I just realized that I have collected  in my database an image of your tsuba from an old Yahoo Japan auction.

Actually the tsuba has (had?) a NBTHK paper reporting in the description: 波貝に変り花抱茗荷紋鐔  -  namigai ni kawari hana dakimyōga-mon tsuba. So little doubt about that mon representing  myōga.

BTW, quite unusually, the shinsa team reported also a time attribution (Momoyama).

post-2065-0-40844300-1570382152_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..