Tsuba Mei

b.hennick

Hi Barry :)

i just see your´s post here.....

into what timesheet would you post your´s Tsuba ? ( early Edo?- mid Edo? or latter Edo? ) or even earlier than early Edo ?

do compare the work and iron with Tsuba from the Tempo/Tenpo school and Tsuba made by the Sadahiro and Nobuie groups....( including the Futagoyama from latter Edo)... ;-)

interesting indeed!

:thumbsup:

Christian

Hello Christian:

I have owned several Tenbo/Tenpo/Tembo/Tempo tsuba. They all have hot stamp impressions. This has carvings of what looks like bundles of straw. I will try to take better photos of the mei but when I added powder not much showed. 

I cannot see any feature that I can use to date the tsuba. Richard George post similar tsuba recently but I have been unable to find it here or on his website. I think that he called his Ko Shoami.

I agree. The photo manipulation this time brought out more useful detail. It is quite worn, but I think there is enough to declare it as Nobuie.

Both Kaneie and Nobuie samples are in the link below. The slanting first stroke of Nobu 信 looks like the slanting first stroke of Kane 金.

Not many other similarities though. Meanwhile, the original Nobuie 信家 signatures look very similar to the bits that can be seen in Barry's tsuba.   

https://www.touken-matsumoto.jp/diarypro/archives/174.html

post-34-0-86428300-1502527950_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the input! My first impression was that the first character was Nobu. 

When I first got this tsuba it was difficult to read anything but it was apparent that something was there. Some TLC, oil, deer antler and ivory helped to bring things out.

A friend wrote this to me:

``The mei on your tuba is Nobuiye ( faint) it is late Edo, revival piece likely made by a armour maker in style of.

... There are a lot of revival Nobuiye in that period, they are not so common in the West, and they are worthy of collecting.

others may say Kaneiye from the photo, but definitely Nobuiye after magnification.``

• 1 month later...

Hi Barry,

I also read it as "Nobuiye" and think that it's consistent with the later revival pieces. I have had and traded a number of these. They are sometimes not sufficiently valued in the West (there's an unsigned one on eBay now for $150). I have another interesting Kaneie style piece which I will put up later in the week, seems to be Aizu Shoami. And I do still own the Ko-Uda, it's with David being mounted as a Dai-Sho with a similarly early chisagatana as the sho.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..