And now for something completely different.

There is another example, a katana I think, pictured in the Yasukuni Book done by one of the Yasukuni smiths after the war.

Good memory. :clap:

By Yasutake, Showa 53. "The Yasukuni Swords" by Tom Kishida, page 24

Still, the proportions of the Ji are "regular" on this one and it isn't Shobu.

Image0004-2.jpg

I agree with Barry: what a unique habaki to make. Tschernaga would probably say it is easy, but I would imagine it to be difficult.

Given that the deep groove doesn't go all the way down the Yasukuni nakago, how was a habaki properly fitted to this sword? Does the mune return so wide that a normal habaki is fitted leaving just a large bowl like shape under one edge of the habaki?

Interesting item Stephen- Before looking at the signature and the NBTHK Hozon papers, my very first thought was it might be one of those crazy Kaifu province O-tanto or wakizashi blades that often seem to come in different shapes.

Curran

Given that the deep groove doesn't go all the way down the Yasukuni nakago, how was a habaki properly fitted to this sword? Does the mune return so wide that a normal habaki is fitted leaving just a large bowl like shape under one edge of the habaki?

Curran

Perhaps the taper at the jiri of the nakago is sufficient that the appropriately shaped habaki slides over without fouling?

Purely speculation on my part but it looks possible from the picture.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..