A sword restored, from wall hanger to study piece.

Jon

A couple of years ago I posted a blade I had inherited, this kicked off my journey and interest in Nihonto. After a long wait I’ve now had the blade polished and fitted with a new shirasaya.

So I thought I would post the before and after shoots.

it’s worth noting that the polisher felt some of the chips were to deep to fully Polish out without impacting on the blade…but this never a commercial decision, was all about restoring a family heirloom as well as giving me a koto study piece for the price of the polish. 

Also any thoughts or views on the blade would be appreciated as well.

C21C5355-DECD-4373-866B-2B10086B6FA8.jpeg

1D46F024-DE0B-4767-84EF-F9EA3AC49FD4.jpeg

E4B2689A-CCA8-4733-AC3F-0839BF04E0D0.jpeg

14D9A55A-DAC7-42BF-B539-2D5C1BFA5021.jpeg

16769C0B-4EA4-48BF-9626-E41B55147AD6.jpeg

33FB3D5A-C03B-4B53-B247-244F22344B9D.jpeg

477661FA-BFBB-4B2B-8C0C-1719BEC3626D.jpeg

89DEC886-5DCA-453E-9B60-ED02AFEF4A10.jpeg

• Like 1

Hello,

Great job on bringing that blade back to life. I'm a complete newbie so please treat my comments lightly. 

Color of the steel suggests Koto period, but IMHO (probably wrong) shape is more Shinto alike. Nice notare/gunome hamon, hada quite tight too. I understand it is mumei as you haven't posted any mei pictures. Two wholes in nakago suggest it was 'moved around' to different koshirae. Any mei on Tsuba? 

But the best part are the chips on cutting edge. If only swords could talk, I wonder what happen there. 

Congratulations for owning a great sword!

Congratulations Jon! I imagine the unboxing was very exciting. I have enjoyed following and learning from your posts 

I hope this is not presumptuous, but I have learned a ton from the "downloads" section on this forum. Especially on photography, and capturing activity on camera. I have even been able to capture activity on camera, that I had very hard time seeing in-person. Its been extremely helpful for my learning and documentation 

Your sword looks great! Selfishly, I want to see more :laughing:

Below is a link to the downloads section and the article I am referring to, by the late great and legendary Darcy Brockbank 

Before this topic turns in to another self righteous witch hunt of amateur polishers can I point out that this gentleman has attended numerous training seminars in Japan and had his work accepted and recieved commendations in NBTHK polishing competitions. It is impossible to judge the quality of his work from the images (no disrespect Jon, capturing detail is difficult ) he has done excellent work for many. His work is nothing at all like the US. Gentleman mentioned previously 

• Like 4
  • Love 3

In following on the last note, a common reference states that a sword in proper polish should have a hamon of a milky white appearance. Is that referring to only the habuchi or the surface all the way down to the ha?  Would that be true for any sword or should that be adjusted for the period in which it was created?  

And to that, would any fully trained togishi be able to polish to the style of the period?

"no disrespect Jon, capturing detail is difficult..."

none take, thank you and having this blade in front of me is a real pleasure.  Unfortunately using an iPhone with no photography skills does not do it or the Polish justice. 

• Like 1

Les Stewart is a good one. He was doing some nice work for my collection. After the Brexit all was to complicated with GB and Nihonto in Europe. What is very sad. 

Try to make better pictures Jon. 

• Like 2

Can I just say I’m very disappointed, the sword has a really beautiful polish, it’s very sad to see some unkind judgements on the Polish being made because of my photos and photographs skills being poor. Sometimes it is better to not say something when all you have is a poor picture to comment on if that impacts on another. feedback that you need to take better pictures would have been fine and is helpful, assumptions on the quality of the work and making comments on it from my poor pictures is I’m sorry to say a poor show. 

Looks like something Yamato related but I can’t say more without seeing the Nioiguchi and Jinie. 
I think The guide from Darcy is a little complicated and will in the end not give what I (we) are looking for. I like this one more http://www.ksky.ne.jp/~sumie99/hamon.html

A1F687A1-6603-427B-9B9D-F799DC4D78CF.jpeg

62393E08-5CAA-41A1-95E4-DD617474A86F.jpeg

also look at this http://www.ksky.ne.j...ie99/appreciate.html 

Edit: also a  picture that shows the bare blade from directly above it so we can see how it curves is useful.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..