A Point of no Return with Polish?

Big Jimp

Hello all, for my second post on NMB I’ll post my first sword, with a story and a question. A few years ago at an estate sale I stumbled upon a katana in very messed up gunto koshirae leaning against the wall of a shed. It was basically just the wood of the tsuka, two seppa and the metal saya.

My grandmother’s maternal grandfather was a hatamoto, lineage of which she is quite proud, and she taught me various bits of what to look for and to do if I encountered nihonto.

The sword is longer than the typical gunto with around a 29” nagasa, the nakago is signed Fujiwara Kiyondo, dated 1863. I left with it for pennies on the dollar, even at out-of-polish nihonto prices and had a shirasaya and habaki made for it immediately. 

I’ve attached some images below. It has spots of rust throughout, there are many small nicks in the cutting edge and the ububa remains. It has a magnificent o-kissaki, a somewhat shallow sori, and hints of an active suguha hamon are present. 

I understand that Kiyondo is a somewhat big name (excellent smith, student of Kiyomaro, etc.) and as such, am treating this sword as gimei until otherwise advised. My questions are, in this current condition, is polish feasible or is it too far gone? If polish is possible, (while my inclination is to do so,) would you pay the steep cost for what are basically entirely sentimental reasons? Finally, who are the better togishi in the greater United States area?

13B299C3-3026-4A2D-A436-489AA5F515EC.jpeg

7A383985-EAAB-4979-AC20-CFCD1F184719.jpeg

F0084670-59A4-42FB-A333-5023175B7A34.jpeg

8BBAC976-D027-419D-9074-8769D01531B6.jpeg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Big Jimp said:

in this current condition, is polish feasible or is it too far gone?

Based on the pictures, yes polish looks feasible especially if the sword is ububa and never polished before. However, the devil is in the details, and pictures over the internet are able to rarely highlight nuances of forging and condition that may impact the polish. The effort should not be taken lightly. 

I recommend showing the sword in hand to polishers - even if it means back and forth shipping (a pittance of an expense compared to the cost of a polish). Letting polishers see the sword in hand will help you gather all the necessary info to make an informed decision.

Looks like a nice sword. Good luck with it!

19 hours ago, Big Jimp said:

even at out-of-polish nihonto prices and had a shirasaya and habaki made for it immediately. 

This may have been a misstep, that is if this sword is to be polished. The proper order to follow when restoring a sword is  after verifying mei and evaluating possible flaws; first, foundation polish, second, habaki, third, shirasaya, fourth, finish polish. Taken out of order you may be looking at having to repeat steps. Consult with the polisher and other artisans involved. 

The U.S. and Canada have a number of qualified and talented polishers. 

Jimmy Hayashi (SF, CA.) *

Takeo Seki (BC, Canada) *

Woody Hall (Nevada)

Ted Tenold (Montana)

* - have used

Regards,

It really all depends if you are looking  to make money….if you’re just after polishing the blade to aid study as well as help preserve a blade…then it’s worth it to you. If you got the blade for nothing it’s unlikely you will be in for a serious loss…and you will have the satisfaction of being the person that keep the blade going.

• Thanks 1

Why are we seen questions such as is this way past polish / point of no return? The photos are blurry but I cannot see deep rust or disappearing hamon or a very thin blade where there is a danger of kawagane being thinned to have shingane show through.

Measuring kasane, motohaba, showing more focused pic of the hamon and kissaki will hep people evaluate the state a bit better. 

Hi all,

Thanks for your responses, I enjoyed reading over them. I am not concerned with making a profit and am mostly concerned with a polish for study and to ensure that the sword is cared for and has “a nice retirement” after a long and treacherous career.

I’m fine with repeating steps, especially since there’s no avoiding it now. I’m not 100% sure where the kissaki begins or whether there even is one (I’ve attached another image showing the faint line which I believe to have been the yokote prior to use). 

When I return from visiting family I will post some proper dimensions. I’ll also try to better capture the hamon, though it is not very prominent in its current state. It does appear to be a somewhat consistent and well executed suguha with beautiful nioi. 

I want you all to know that I really appreciate your patience with me as a newbie. My collection right now is this sword, which I chanced across, a gendai tantō I purchased after research, and Nakahara’s Facts and Fundamentals of Japanese Swords. As a philosophy guy and a perennial knowledge seeker, I adore that  Nihonto collection, preservation and appreciation is 95% learning.

Thanks,

JamesCFA4CE38-1C5C-4DDD-880F-A7D645B9668C.thumb.jpeg.abf1a301b1f7a4c09c3419426d11aa70.jpeg

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..