Coolest hamon I’ve ever seen on a Gunto

Bridges

Definitely etched, these blades are through hardened in oil and the Hamon pattern is then etched like a normal parade sabre. There is no natural Hamon on these swords made using the Murata process. Best to do some reading on what a real Hamon looks like as you will often encounter such swords in Kyu Gunto mounts.

This was one stamped by Naohiro, a Taisho era smith who also made Gendai.

20191125_185732_cr.jpg

20191125_185715_cr.jpg

20191125_185738.jpg

20191125_190611.jpg

• Like 3

beautiful important long (68,4cm)custom order made Hokke Saburo Nobufusa 8.Gen 

Itame/ mokume  with masame on the cutting edge

hamon is  very active undulating sugu  with kinsuji and sunagashi

forged in rare Yamato Tegai Tradition, polish and judge by Kenji Mishina in 2007 TBH NBTHK Paper

This sword was found in a late '98 pattern shin Gunto koshirae

20220814_065639.jpg

20220814_065900.jpg

20220814_065715.jpg

20220814_070028.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Volker san,

Very nice Okishiba Masakuni hamon...I have mentioned this before I think...your Masakuni is probably 2nd gen (the son of 1st gen Masakuni) as the 2nd gen is known to have made knives in Sakai city (Osaka) after the war until he died in c. 1990.

A real pity that swordmaking seems to have just about died out in Sakai these days... now only knife smiths.  The Okishiba line were very important Osaka smiths.

Regards...

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..