Patterns on Fuchi and Kashira

sencho

Hey! Am I the only one who can see a manji there with the center point in nakago ana :crazy: :freak: :?:

It is always interesting to think about motifs.

If you concern with Manji, it might also look like Maru-Manji (丸å).

But the design reminds me of a lock rather than a Manji. :idea:

post-20-14196743893092_thumb.gif

post-20-14196743893358_thumb.jpg

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey! I was joking of course 8)

but this suggestion with lock motif is really interesting.

I used to interpreting this motif as a lattice / railing / or just something like garden pole on a lattice.

Ok, here is something much more serious and not offtopic. A pattern from Japanese sketch book. Unfortunately I don't have any better picture, nor possibility to read the letters around it.

Regards!

post-737-14196743894333_thumb.jpg

Some pretty amazing patterns there.

The Hachisuka Daimyos who moved to Awa (Tokushima?) on the east coast of Shikoku used a Manji symbol. Recently I came into the possession of a Mae-date which was originally made as a small shinchu mirror in about 1290. The Mei is good. It has a bold Manji in the centre of it. At some point one of the Hachisukas must have attached a spring plate to the tang so that it slots nicely into the fixture on the front of the helmet.

OK, since I wrote that I've taken some piccies, even though it's neither fuchi nor kashira. Forgive the... :offtopic:

post-601-14196743956506_thumb.jpg

post-601-14196743959648_thumb.jpg

Hi Michal,

Thanks for posting those tsuba... the 1st one with the openwork sayagata design is (in my eyes) just spectacular.....

I have never made it down to Krakow, only Warsaw, (which I love) but next time I may have to visit the museum there!

Cheers!!

Hi Michal,

Thanks for posting those tsuba... the 1st one with the openwork sayagata design is (in my eyes) just spectacular.....

I have never made it down to Krakow, only Warsaw, (which I love) but next time I may have to visit the museum there!

Cheers!!

You're welcome, just do let me know :)

• 4 weeks later...

Back to topic just beacuse I found this.

mongolia.jpg

It is a capture from the youtube movie on Mongolia, where, amongst the traditional musicians, we can find a lady with an instrument decorated with sayagata pattern.

I made short searching through google: this musical instrument is called yoochin. Its front pannel decoration may be varied, but googling I found another one:

yoochinbogd_2.jpg

Just small :offtopic: ;) for those who are, or will track this pattern around the world.

Regards

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Brian, There is such a book. It dated from around 1910, there was an inserted slip describing a recent fire at Nikko Toshogu. It dealt with key-fret patterns and how they could vary in complexity. There were also sections on typical Japanese lacquer designs and textiles. I gave my copy to the library at Nikko Toshogu Shrine since so many of the examples were copied from there. I cannot for the life of me remember the title or author.

Ian Bottomley

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..