Cat-scratch Habaki

Bruce Pennington

This is a doozie from Robert's (Surfson) post http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/32640-new-acquisition-that-needs-some-tlc/

I imagine it would eat the wood liner to shreds with only a few cycles of the blade!

Which possibly tells you how often the owner expectetd to draw it, or how happy he was to pay for new saya work..... More likely it is very shallow relief and no problem for a man able to afford that level of workmanship.

• Like 1

The friction that holds the sword in is supposed to be on the ha and the mune, not the sides of the habaki. The sides should just barely touch. If the pressure is on the sides it will tend split the mouth of the saya over time.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Interesting one, shaped like a mountain (Fuji mabye?).  Not very intricate, like some of these others, but I like it because the artist modified the usual square shape of the habaki to create the image, rather than using the face of the surface to cut an image.

Owned by Alva (Karusk) and posted HERE.

Mountain.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/21/2020 at 11:10 AM, peterd said:

Wow.  Top smith.  Are there more fittings with this blade ?. Very nice piece on its own.

Sorry it has taken me so long to get an answer back to your question. Afraid the short answer is no, there are no accompanying / comparable fittings.  I removed the tiger habaki shortly after I acquired the blade and had one made from black horn. I’m on the lookout for something that will compliment the habaki without creating a garish mess. 
jim

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...