Help translating, hopefully not a gimei or at least a good one

Mjordan8691

建依別山囗善貞(花押)

Tateyoriwake Yama(?) Yoshisada + kaō

Tateyoriwake is an unusual name, originating in Japanese mythology, and appearing on at least one other sword posted to this site

http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/30320-help-translating-gendaito/

making me think it is a name used by a specific group or school of smiths. 

Yama-something Yoshisada would be the specific name of the swordsmith (or his art name). I can't make out the kanji after Yama. 

• Like 4

建依別山囗善貞(花押)

Tateyoriwake Yama(?) Yoshisada + kaō

Tateyoriwake is an unusual name, originating in Japanese mythology, and appearing on at least one other sword posted to this site

http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/30320-help-translating-gendaito/

making me think it is a name used by a specific group or school of smiths.

Yama-something Yoshisada would be the specific name of the swordsmith (or his art name). I can't make out the kanji after Yama.

Sit down and broke out the old elbow grease, did some image editing, hope this helps.

post-5268-0-26486900-1581378998_thumb.jpg

I understand your concern but the blade has been through the development of a child since age 12 who had 4 older brothers and few friends. Also if it helps ease your pain. I'm hand sharpening it to return the blade to it's convex edge as a prior owner used a grinding wheel before me. Also after edging I'll polish the blade, clean it thoroughly then allow the blade to soak in oil soaked clothes for a few days to saturate the steel and preserve the finish.

It's long past it's prime, when I got it it was rusty and nothing but blade and nakano and sheath.

I know the blade is ruined, but you might like to have some info on the smith. He was an army swordsmith (star stamp) and is from Kochi prefecture, Tosa City.

He was born in Meiji 33 (3 April 1900) and was still making swords in 1977. Here is a page from the "Gendai Toko Meikan" by ONO 1971 p.110.

Regards,

post-470-0-64881300-1581388721_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

I know the blade is ruined, but you might like to have some info on the smith. He was an army swordsmith (star stamp) and is from Kochi prefecture, Tosa City.

He was born in Meiji 33 (3 April 1900) and was still making swords in 1977. Here is a page from the "Gendai Toko Meikan" by ONO 1971 p.110.

Regards,

Thank you very much. I'm excited to learn this. There is an inscription on the other side as well. If it's not to much, when I can I'll clear it up some and get a good pic.

I know you guys probably cringe at the mention of that but I'm just curious. The swords got a lot of sentimental value to it and that's what lead me hear to begin with searching for translations. I can't tell how long I've been digging around to be hear lol.

Thanks again too, it really means a lot to mean.

It's not about cringing, it is about the fact that cleaning a nakago is a strict NO. Not something frowned upon, or bad manners, it is a NO, and you basically wave goodbye to half your value immediately.
And you may not care about that, but you are only looking after it for future generations and they may care. This one one of the prime rules of Japanese swords. That...and NEVER polish a Japanese sword yourself.
Legally, you can do what you like with it. But expect the same backlash you would get on an art forum when you say you are using your oil paints to touch up your old Monet painting.
Just fyi I guess..

• Like 6

It's not about cringing, it is about the fact that cleaning a nakago is a strict NO. Not something frowned upon, or bad manners, it is a NO, and you basically wave goodbye to half your value immediately.

And you may not care about that, but you are only looking after it for future generations and they may care. This one one of the prime rules of Japanese swords. That...and NEVER polish a Japanese sword yourself.

Legally, you can do what you like with it. But expect the same backlash you would get on an art forum when you say you are using your oil paints to touch up your old Monet painting.

Just fyi I guess..

I understand that from a collectors view point, I'm actually learning a lot and I don't want you guys to think I'm dismissing these points. Any other sword I get later I'll certainly practice better care. Actually if there's somewhere you can direct me for dos and donuts that's be appreciated

Everything you have described and done, including 'hand sharpening', 'edging' and unnecessarily cleaning the nakago to remove patina on an already readable mei is a 'don't'. You cannot make the decision whether a sword is 'past its prime' on your own. Judgements about restorability need to come from a professionally trained togishi.

http://www.nbthk-ab.org/swordcare.pdf

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..