Shipping success

• 4 weeks later...

Not wanting to sound like im blowing ones trumpet, just thought the info might help.

Success, Katana,  US to England, sent by EMS, no issues.

Worth mentioning, this was the 2nd attempt, first time was with USPS but it was returned to sender.(All relevant information provided, tariff etc)

• Like 1

Not entirely sure Ken, the tracking stated it never left the US, but since then I received a letter from USPS/Parcelforce saying it was being held for further enquiries.

I received that letter the same day the sword was delivered by EMS.

Sometimes wonder what goes on, someone flags it, then maybe a couple of folk on different shifts with different amount of experience approaching it in different ways  :laughing:

Just glad it arrived in one piece, all is well

USPS has managed to misplace the International First Class package I sent to Jean in Germany over a month ago, and is not very forthcoming on where it might be....left Samoa and wasn't scanned in at Honolulu.......working on the issue. Not good news, but it is possible it is still in Honolulu. I dub him St. Jean the Patient!

USPS contracts with whatever airline is leaving a US port city heading for the package destination. It is whomever is available that day. I've had 2 swords go through to Australia, but had 2 other rejected. After numerous phone calls the system was explained to me. My rejected ones had been sent to an Emirates airline flight. And Emirates won't ship kitchen knives much less a sword.

I will look into EMS, thanks!

not sure i understand. For mailing from the U.S. to international location the USPS offers Priority Mail Express, Priority Mail, Global Express Guaranteed, and first class. They had an EMS service some years back but changed it to Priority Express.  So what serice are you referring to as EMS ?  Or am i missing something?

https://pe.usps.com/text/Imm/tz_018.htm

I'm guessing he refers to this.

Cheers, Pietro

Yes, that's it.

Funny thing is though, tracking number works on the EMS site, but also on USPS as priority mail express international (product information)

Just read the bottom of the page that Pietro presented, now I get it.

USPS 'Priority Express' is simply their name for EMS service.  It was until recently referred to as 'Express' mail.  It's all part of EMS which is a world wide service using the same thirteen letter/numeric tracking.  Global Express Guaranteed is a separate service which aligns with Fedex and has it's own rules and restrictions: This is for USA:   https://www.usps.com/international/gxg.htm

USPS contracts with whatever airline is leaving a US port city heading for the package destination. It is whomever is available that day. I've had 2 swords go through to Australia, but had 2 other rejected. After numerous phone calls the system was explained to me. My rejected ones had been sent to an Emirates airline flight. And Emirates won't ship kitchen knives much less a sword.

Wont forget that about Emirates and good to find out about EMS/USPS, cheers

Ok, blowing trumpet a bit.

Was a sword thread, but will throw a tsuba success in to even out the thread, as this one is "if carlsberg did nihonto purchases" .

Finishing off a koshirae and needed a tsuba, so buys one from Grey in US (after a certain amount of measuring twice)

Arrived yesterday, should have got charged import VAT, but for some weird reason i didnt (why cant this happen with swords, and yes, all details on package complied with uk rules).....result!

Fit to the nakago is bang on, like it was made for this sword, maybe it was?...……...result

Fit for the Kozuka is bang on, maybe it was made for this sword...……….result  :laughing:

Cheers Grey, Success!!

post-2297-0-25306300-1578583559_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Cheers Gents,

I did some measurements before the tsuka went off for a refurb, so it should fit Ken. Might be slightly out but i can sort that with various thickness of seppa.

Be good if other folk could chime in with their shipping positives, might help folk to make decisions in the future and also good to read the good news, rather than what goes wrong.

Cheers.

USPS 'Priority Express' is simply their name for EMS service.  It was until recently referred to as 'Express' mail.  It's all part of EMS which is a world wide service using the same thirteen letter/numeric tracking.  Global Express Guaranteed is a separate service which aligns with Fedex and has it's own rules and restrictions: This is for USA:   https://www.usps.com/international/gxg.htm

Thanks Pete, I will look at this one too.

Alex, shipping hasn't been a problem for me. I got the dragon tsuba from you, a tanto from California, a katana from Japan, & several other items from other countries in the past month. Everything showed up on time & undamaged, so I guess that qualifies as "good news." Actually, my only shipping glitch is a hard-drive I ordered from Best Buy on 12/23 - they still don't know where it is! I should have just driven across the island & picked it up, but I was lazy, & shipping was free.  :fit:

• Like 1

Have sent tsuba to Japan last year USPS without difficulty.

Sent a sword to Spain via USPS, delivered without difficulty.

Two to France, one USPS, one UPS both delivered without difficulty.

One to the UK, no difficulty except the customs officials opened the box and apparently played samurai which resulted in damage to the saya.  Had to fight with them to settle the claim, but eventually all was well.

Shipping to Japan can be tricky.  Depending on what you send and the method will determine where it ends up for inspection.  This can add time and aggravation for the receiver.

Might add that I have never had issues with EMS shipping to me.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Been a while but solely to help anyone that may be importing in the future.  I don't be wanting shipping to be the death of the hobby, so here goes.

Modern Long sword from Australia to UK. (shinsakuto)

Customs tariff number 9705.00.00.90 (different for antiques, see Darcy's write-up)

Description... TRADITIONALLY MADE Japanese CULTURAL ARTWORK

Darcy's write-up..........https://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/1860-importingexporting-and-customs-queries-and-advice/#comment-14557

Shipped with DHL, who were brilliant. Posted on Friday using DHL EXPRESS, the delivery date was the Monday after but had to move that back a few days as no one in to sign.  I received the import customs charge before the sword even left Australia, they charged 5%. Seems they have their own agents to sort the fees. Tracking was accurate and even got text and email on the morning of delivery with a 2 hour slot..

No problems whatsoever.

Paperwork was meticulous, thanks to Mal. 

Anyways, may help some folks in the future. 

My advice, make sure the paperwork is honest and idiot proof.

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..