To restore or not to restore?

I have found a '98 gunto, that has a really good quality blade, not too bad saya, but the wrapping on the tsuka is terrible, the spring clip is missing and some seppa missing . 

What is the view out there of using original gunto parts to bring back an "original " looking sword using parts from other swords. I don't want to re-wrap the tsuka as that looks too new and fake .

Secondly, if ever I  sell the sword, should I inform the buyer that it has been restored, even if it doesn't look it ? 

To each his own, but the last part sounds like a frequent complaint on NMB about some of the eBay sellers... But some people don’t care it was restored and happy someone did so.

I restore the parts if it’s a blade I’m keeping in my collection. If I decide to sell I’m always up front of a handle rewrap, added seppa, missing parts, etc. I can’t imagine anyone here would be happy buying something then finding out it was just a put together that was not disclosed. There’s some people I quit doing business with because of this. I’ve overheard some talking about “tricking the buyer.”

• Like 4

Neiil,

I agree with Brandon, it depends on whether it's a piece for your collection, or something you plan on selling.   If you'd like to restore it for yourself, including re-wrapping the tsuka go ahead, it's widely accepted practice.   If your selling offer it as is.

-S-

• Like 4

I would restore if I could get the seppa right. And I’d rather buy a rewrapped gunto, if professionally done. Gunto were repaired and rewrapped during the war, just as an old blade wore many fittings in its life. As long as the parts are WWII, and full disclosure is made, I’d rather buy something that looks nice than something that looks like junk. But that’s me.

I have several spare seppa if you decide to refit. I can send pictures of them if interested.

• Like 3

Thanks for the offer Bruce , but I will leave it alone for the foreseeable future . Keeping it as is , I can still enjoy it the way it has traveled over the years , and leave the decision up to the next owner should I decide to move it on . 

But it seems the consensus out there is to let the next owner know if a sword has been restored . Wish more sellers out there would take notice of this advice .   

• Like 1

Unless the numbers are mis-matched, it doesn't bother me if it's "Restored" .   To me, it's just the equivilent of fiield repairs.  And it certainly doesn't bother me if the Tsuka has been professionally wrapped.  But then again, I don't collect for the Koshirae I collect for the blade.

• Like 3

It’s a great question here.

Now, I’m more of a hoarder than a seller and keep everything I get because they’re part of my life and all of them means a special moment in it.

Sooooo..... to my question: I don’t see rewarding as an issue personally, but what is the general consensus about repainting where paint has come off?

I’ve often been tempted to do so, but never had the guts.

In my opinion, the repaint is a No No: it is like repainting an helmet or reblue a gun, it does affect the originality of the item. Nothing against a light cleaning or working to stop active corrosion: dust, dirt and rust were not original WWII issue.

• Like 2

I would certainly sort out the seppa, just as I would replace a dodgy mekugi. It's a matter of safety when handling, and preventing further degradation. Re wrapping the ito, that's a personal decision, but again it's about preventing further decay, the wrap is an important contributor to the integrity of the tsuka and holds the menuki in place.

Myself, I would  not repaint the saya.

• Like 2

Yeah, that was my thought too but wanted other input.

Another question, in the wrong section, but since we’re talking restauration, why not push things further.

In another thread about a 1944 tanto, someone suggested using finger stones to correct a blemish on a ha. I’ve always wondered, though here again never had the guts is using hazuya and nugui on a sword in good yet old polish would do anything to “refresh” the polish?

I would certainly sort out the seppa, just as I would replace a dodgy mekugi. It's a matter of safety when handling, and preventing further degradation. Re wrapping the ito, that's a personal decision, but again it's about preventing further decay, the wrap is an important contributor to the integrity of the tsuka and holds the menuki in place.

Myself, I would  not repaint the saya.

My feelings exactly! I have had a couple of NCO 95's, though, with terrible Bubba paint jobs that I stripped the post-war paint off. I got lucky on 1 which still had its original paint. The other had been completely stripped to the metal, though, and I was left with a Type 95 with no paint at all. So I repainted. It looks too new, and the tsuka too shiny; but it's better than either the Bubba paint (which was all gold, even the blade!), or bare metal. I wouldn't do it with an officer saya, or any gunto with original paint.

• Like 4

Seppa are fairly easy and a new mekugi is also easy. I would have no problems with rewraps etc as long as they are declared as a newly well wrapped tsuka looks a lot better than one with wrecked or missing ito

For the few Gunto's I have, I have made up an info sheet for each that goes with the sword if/when sold. This sheet states what has and hasn't been done to the sword as well as the usual sword info of dimensions etc etc.

All of my Gunto's have the original saya finish no matter how scruffy it is as this is the way I like to keep them. Don't get me wrong, it's nice to have a sword in minty fittings but it is also nice to have a Gunto koshirae that says it's been there and done it.

I have been asked and have straightened, removed dents and repainted 2 gunto saya (They were virtually scrap due to the damage) but as Dave and Bruce have said, they just look too clean and crisp to be original.

• Like 5

Yeah, that was my thought too but wanted other input.

Another question, in the wrong section, but since we’re talking restauration, why not push things further.

In another thread about a 1944 tanto, someone suggested using finger stones to correct a blemish on a ha. I’ve always wondered, though here again never had the guts is using hazuya and nugui on a sword in good yet old polish would do anything to “refresh” the polish?

Nooooo, don't try and refresh a polish. At the most give a blade a good going over with Uchiko, but even then not if the rest of the blade is in decent polish. Not sure about nugui, and again I would leave it to the experienced. 

• Like 5

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..