Ikubi Kissaki Example - Love Them!

FWIW, this sword does not have an ikubi-kissaki. This term refers to a sword in which the kissaki is shorter than it is wide. The proportions can be verified in an image editing application such as Photoshop where, in Aoi's image, the width of the sword at the yokoto is approximately 187 pixels, while the length of the kissaki from the yokote forward is approximately 238 pixels.

post-457-0-32872000-1502066665_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

I was also curious about this being a true ikubi kissaki, as opposed to a ko kissaki/chu kissaki (depending on how you want to look at it I guess).  I didn't want to point out a mistake being so new, plus I thought maybe I misunderstood the meaning of ikubi kissaki myself.  Just to be clear, I'm pretty sure that both swords are not true ikubi kissaki and basically just ko kissaki, correct?  I actually really like short ko kissaki, though they seem to be few and far between...ikubi kissaki on the other hand, I haven't seen any other than in books as examples.

Real Ko kissaki are encountered on early Kamakura blades where fumbari is very important. I have one on one of my sword which is an utsushi of a beginning of Kamakura Bizen tachi by the great Oei Bizen smith Yasumitsu, from memory, it is about 1,88cm long, yokote is 0,8cm. The blade is 70,7cm long

http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/17414-achieved-collection-gokaden/

• Like 2

FWIW, this sword does not have an ikubi-kissaki. This term refers to a sword in which the kissaki is shorter than it is wide. The proportions can be verified in an image editing application such as Photoshop where, in Aoi's image, the width of the sword at the yokoto is approximately 187 pixels, while the length of the kissaki from the yokote forward is approximately 238 pixels.

Amazing detective skills as always Raymond!

Well looks like technically I made this post in error, and I actually did know the sizing definitions, but did not apply them. Ikubi-like?

I have seen a few real nihonto ones around and a newly forged sword (Komonjo :) ) trying to copy the style and should have been more specific. Still, great thread and great discussion.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..