My newest Tanto

Teimei

The newest part of my small collection.

A Yoroi-doshi(-esque) Tanto from the shinshinto period. Yoroi-doshi means armor piercer like a Misericordia in europe. In the shinshinto period, these kind of Tanto didn´t served a real purpose since nobody was wearing armor any longer, it was just kind of en vogue.

It´s stored in an old shirasaya with a silver habaki, the mekugi is of poor quality.

signed: Masakage (i think? :dunno:) saku

dated: 1866

nagasa: 26,9 cm

moto-haba: 2,5 cm

moto-kasane: 0,81 cm

hamon: suguha

hada: a mix of masame and itame

Any comments are welcome! (don´t be too harsh ;))

post-4922-14196894299708_thumb.jpg

post-4922-14196894301267_thumb.jpg

post-4922-14196894304674_thumb.jpg

post-4922-14196894312402_thumb.jpg

post-4922-14196894318255_thumb.jpg

Nice! There is nothing more elegant than a well-proportioned tanto in suguha. :clap:

Agree.

Nice example with date.

What is the thickness at the mune?

I have a similar Shimosaka one that came original to a koshirae I bought. Probably c. 1865.

The tanto was nice enough that I had a shirasaya made for it and a tsunagi for the koshirae.

Surprisingly nicer blade than I expected when I purchased the koshirae.

Nice! There is nothing more elegant than a well-proportioned tanto in suguha. :clap:

Agree.

Nice example with date.

What is the thickness at the mune?

I have a similar Shimosaka one that came original to a koshirae I bought. Probably c. 1865.

The tanto was nice enough that I had a shirasaya made for it and a tsunagi for the koshirae.

Surprisingly nicer blade than I expected when I purchased the koshirae.

The thickness at the mune is right about 8,1mm near the habaki and tapers to 4,2mm towards the tip.

In the shinshinto period, these kind of Tanto didn´t served a real purpose since nobody was wearing armor any longer, it was just kind of en vogue.
Nice looking blade, Shinshinto (new new swords 1781–1876), actually many types of armor were worn and used for the entire Edo period, these types of thick tanto would have been quite useful in the right situation.

In the shinshinto period, these kind of Tanto didn´t served a real purpose since nobody was wearing armor any longer, it was just kind of en vogue.
Nice looking blade, Shinshinto (new new swords 1781–1876), actually many types of armor were worn and used for the entire Edo period, these types of thick tanto would have been quite useful in the right situation.

Yes, you´re right they were wearing all kind of armor, you can hide quite an amount of chainmail under a kimono.

I think even today this tanto could be useful!

Depends on the situation right? 8)

Very nice piece Florian :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, I can't come to our next meeting. I'm sure, you will show around this beauty there ;)

Did i missed something here?

I´m sorry but i don´t know anything about a meeting, i think you mistook me for someone else. :dunno:

But thanks anyway! :lol:

Very nice blade. Juged by jihada, I would say Masahide Group. This Kind of O-Hada at the hamachi is often seen in tanto. The lively hada with ist flowing elements support this.

Tetsu seems to be full of colour, another suishinshi trademark.

Hamon ?

I can´t see enough, but the ( ko ) nie seems to be good.

Signature : Masakage is correct. Indeed there was a Smith in the mon of Mashide with this name.

However, a beautyful blade.

Congratuliations.

Greetings from Berlin

Stefan

Very nice blade. Juged by jihada, I would say Masahide Group. This Kind of O-Hada at the hamachi is often seen in tanto. The lively hada with ist flowing elements support this.

Tetsu seems to be full of colour, another suishinshi trademark.

Hamon ?

I can´t see enough, but the ( ko ) nie seems to be good.

Signature : Masakage is correct. Indeed there was a Smith in the mon of Mashide with this name.

However, a beautyful blade.

Congratuliations.

Greetings from Berlin

Stefan

Hi Stefan,

thanks for your comment!

There is quite an amount of (ko) nie visible, but the pictures are not that good, i must admit.

Mit freundlichem Gruß

Masakage on the JTK origami is written correct for itself. The kanji kage is seldom seen written this way. For further information on Masakage - Suzuki Masao - Suishinshi Masatsugu - look at Sesko Lexikon p.313.

Eric

Florian,

How reliable is this JTK paper and worth in your opinion?

Eric

Eric,

i don´t know how reliable they are in general, because i never dealt with them before. However, it is a paper issued by a shop and the goal of a shop is to sell things, you know what i mean? :badgrin:

The paper was just a nice extra.

Long story short, i bought the Tanto because i liked the sugata and not for the paper that came with it.

However, it is a paper issued by a shop and the goal of a shop is to sell things, you know what i mean?

Florian,

I‘m amused. A sword-shop deals with swords, which in most cases are accompanied with an origami. The goal of an origami or paper is to certify a mei, thus confirming the opinion of the issuer. JTK (Juho Token Kenkyukai) its leader is Kobayashi Yukinobu. In his opinion the mei on your Tanto belongs to the Masakage with the unusual kanji kage, hence this Masakage is easily to identify...the mei I'm posting is different to yours Tanto mei.

My comment is not intended to criticize the quality ot the Tanto.

Eric

post-369-14196894608052_thumb.jpg

However, it is a paper issued by a shop and the goal of a shop is to sell things, you know what i mean?

Florian,

I‘m amused. A sword-shop deals with swords, which in most cases are accompanied with an origami. The goal of an origami or paper is to certify a mei, thus confirming the opinion of the issuer. JTK (Juho Token Kenkyukai) its leader is Kobayashi Yukinobu. In his opinion the mei on your Tanto belongs to the Masakage with the unusual kanji kage, hence this Masakage is easily to identify...the mei I'm posting is different to yours Tanto mei.

My comment is not intended to criticize the quality ot the Tanto.

Eric

Eric,

like you said, an origami is a confirmation of the "opinion" of the issuer. He could be right or not. Could be the first smith he found that "fit in the picture". I´m only a beginner, so i can´t even read the origami, thats why i am very thankful for your comments!

You´re right your example is different to the mei on mine. Maybe a different smith, or he had a bad hair day while signing it? :lol:

Florian,

Am I right to think that you have written the following „Ueberlegungen zum ästhetischen Verständnis des Japanischen Kunstschwertes“...or no?

Well...a very interesting read.

Eric

Eric,

you are not the first one who thinks that i am Mr. Brands. I am not Mr. Brands or related to him in any kind.

Sorry, but i´m just a nobody.

But i agree with you that this article is very interesting.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..