Jingo Tsuba

Grey Doffin

Hi guys,

This auction ended last night.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/D259-REAL-old-J ... true&rt=nc

I wasn't a bidder but I wonder: Did someone pick up a real Jingo tsuba or pay too much for a copy?

Pictures below of a tsuba by Jingo the 5th from Ito's book, Works of Hirata and Shimizu.

Cheers, Grey

post-23-14196863065378_thumb.jpg

post-23-14196863066954_thumb.jpg

The winner of the auction is a newcomer with a deep pocket. He has been outbidding everyone on lots of tsuba that are nothing special, some with obvious forging flaws indicated in pictures as well as in the description :dunno: To each his own, I guess.

Hoanh

Bob,

The only thing one can do is look at the scrambled moniker and correlate it with the number of feedback the person has. If one gets a consistency between both the scrambled moniker *AND* the number of feedback, then it's most likely the same person. On top of that, if the person bids for the same type of item, say tsuba in this case, then it's another check sum test.

Regards,

Hoanh

Ouch.

Someone using their wallet for a flashlight instead of reading and looking for the light. Even expensive books are cheap in comparison. Wonder when this piece will surface at a show claiming to be Jingo? Everyone pays for their education in this hobby, one way or another......

• 3 weeks later...

No paper and just because someone scratched something on the ura a Jingo it does not make. Aside from this, Robert Haynes has been very forward about the Higo Kinko Taikan having modern pieces in it which were placed 'for sale'. Whether his assertion is true or not I do not know but put together I would expect validation in the form of Hozon paper before I plunked down $4000.

My two cents and worth whatever two cents is in this day and age.

Ed,

Very true. But one would think that a top work like that would have papers by now.

Also, if you look at some of the finishing off, and places like the inside top of the bag...you can see someone attempted something and didn't success.

Again, no proof it isn't. But less proof it is :)

Brian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..