Yasukuni-to

See that today on Facebook. I think thats a very mint Koshirae and a nice sword. The Tassel looks like replica. 

Other meaning is that the koshirae is a complete replica. What you think? For me it looks amazing. If its fake the quality is amazing.

Ist möglicherweise ein Bild von Text

Ist möglicherweise ein Bild von Windspiel, Klarinette, Flöte, Oboe und Text

Keine Fotobeschreibung verfügbar.

Ist möglicherweise ein Bild von Messer

Ist möglicherweise ein Bild von Makramee

• Love 1
  • Wow 1

Hi Chris, I saw and commented on that as well. Do you happen to have a link for the one that recently sold on aoijapan.com? As I recall it was also in a very good condition shingunto koshirae with general tassel. Unfortunately I did not save the link. 

Best regards, 

Ray 

• Like 2

imho this has had a koshirae restoration.  the gilt and finsih on the fittings ar at 75% while the conditon on the saya and ito are 100%.  

and the one on aoi has been punched in on the seppa and tsuba.  

this seems to be a increasing activitie from Japan to sell to the unsuspecting.  i personally perfur my gunto to be 100% original and un touched

• Thanks 1

Fittings look to have some original bits, otherwise modern replicas. Tassel is a reproduction, hangers are wrong, whole saya looks wrong.  The new owner has been swindled.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have seen a good number of "immaculate" gunto coming out of Japan, and have been assuming they are full restorations, or new construction.

The one at the top has a 1933 blade in it.  Theoretically, the blade could have been re-fitted when the Type 94 came out.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, PNSSHOGUN said:

Fittings look to have some original bits, otherwise modern replicas. Tassel is a reproduction, hangers are wrong, whole saya looks wrong.  The new owner has been swindled.

John 

You're spot on about the fitting. Some Yusukuni/Kikusui swords, and Mantetsu, were initially sold in Shirasaya in Japan before appearing in the Chinese market with gunto mount. The owner/seller did this to enhance the appeal and fetch a higher resale price. By the way, this Yasunori blade is legit.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, PNSSHOGUN said:

Quite sophisticated but made yesterday. Enough to fool many at a summary glance.

John, that’s what I suspected as well.  The shape of the cherry blossoms is way off. 

Did you think the sword was sent to china to fit in a new koshirae?

Or was the koshirae made in Japan with chinese fake fittings? 

I have some problemes to handle your thoughts.

It's a legt Yasukuni-to with Hozon. And it seems the sword fits in the koshirae. 

7 hours ago, vajo said:

He shows some addtional pictures. Looks all legit for me. A very stunning koshirae.

Ist möglicherweise ein Bild von Leder mit Sattlernaht, Buch und Messing

The notable gap between the scabbard throat and liner, which is unlikely in a custom job, potentially damages the sword shop's reputation. It's challenging to imagine that an officer willing to invest extra money would overlook such a flaw. 

Probably doesn't mean anything, however there aren't any assembly marks or numbers on the parts we can see. I would expect to see something - a shop stamp maybe?

John C.

G'day Guys,

The small details on this just don't look right to me. I know that some of these details do vary, especially between different koshirae makers, but in this case, all the small details are different. I think it must be a repro as well.

Cheers,

Bryce

• Like 1